World

Niger set for historic transition in presidential vote

First-ever peaceful handover since independence to break country’s pattern of violence

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Dec 2020 4:30PM

Niger set for historic transition in presidential vote
President Mahamadou Issoufou has gained high marks for announcing that he will hand the baton to his elected successor. – AFP pic, December 24, 2020

NIAMEY – Niger hopes to make history on Sunday when elections set it on course for its first-ever peaceful transition of power despite a raging Islamist insurgency and economic woes.

The world’s poorest country by a key UN benchmark, the Sahel nation has never had two elected leaders hand over power since independence from France 60 years ago – the last coup was only a decade ago.

The man who has been in charge since then, President Mahamadou Issoufou, has gained high marks for announcing that he will hand the baton to his elected successor.

Two other nations in West Africa, Guinea and Ivory Coast, have been rocked by violence this year after their heads of state pushed through changes to the constitution.

They declared their counter on presidential limits had been reset to zero, enabling them to bid for a third spell in office – a move that triggered bloody protests.

“My most burning desire is to hand over power in 2021 to a democratically-elected successor,” Issoufou has said.

“This will be my finest achievement – it will be a first in the history of our country.”

French President Emmanuel Macron has heaped praise on Issoufou, describing him as an “example for democracy” while his foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, declared “the quality of the elections will be a benchmark for all of Africa”.

Others have sounded a more sceptical tone, pointing to the dominant role played by the army, which in 2010 forced out a highly popular president, Mamadou Tandja, who had his eyes on a third term.

Issoufou “isn't bidding for a third term because he doesn’t want it, but because he doesn’t have the choice,” said Bounty Diallo, a former soldier and professor at the University of Niamey.

Another flaw in the rosy picture is the absence of a prominent opposition candidate.

Former prime minister Hama Amadou, 70, was last month barred from contesting the vote on the grounds that in 2017 he was handed a 12-month term for alleged baby trafficking – a charge he says was bogus. In March, he was given a presidential pardon as he was seeing out his sentence.

Mohamed Bazoum, 60, a former interior and foreign minister who is Issoufou’s designated successor, is the front-runner on Sunday, after a campaign dominated by the issue of security. 

Niger is being hammered by jihadists from neighbouring Mali and from Nigeria, the cradle of the decade-old insurgency launched by Boko Haram, and by armed gangs.

Last year more than 250 people died and there were more than 250 kidnappings, according to UN figures.

Jihadist attacks have displaced hundreds of thousands of people and have come closer and closer to the capital Niamey.

In August, six French tourists and their two Nigerian guides were slaughtered in the Koure National Park, just 60km from the city. 

On December 12, 34 people were massacred in a Boko Haram attack in the southeastern region of Diffa on the eve of repeatedly delayed municipal and regional elections. – AFP, December 24, 2020

Related News

World / 3y

France evacuates 736 from Niger amid coup

World / 5y

Niger presidential favourite wins first round, heads for runoff

World / 5y

Niger stages historic elections despite jihadist attacks

World / 5y

Boko Haram claims responsibility for Niger attack

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren