World

Niger stages historic elections despite jihadist attacks

Current frontrunner Mohamed Bazoum is the designated successor of the former president, who stepped down voluntarily after two terms        

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Dec 2020 7:00PM

Niger stages historic elections despite jihadist attacks
Niger's Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) load ballot boxes and election equipment onto a truck ahead of the country's presidential and legislative elections today. – AFP pic, December 27, 2020

NIAMEY – Voters in the Sahel state of Niger go to the polls today for an election that could seal the country’s first-ever peaceful handover between elected presidents, despite a bloody jihadist insurgency.

The West African country has been chronically unstable since gaining independence from France 60 years ago, and is ranked the world’s poorest country according to the UN’s Human Development Index.

Around 7.4 million people are registered to vote for the ballot for presidency, which coincides with legislative elections.

President Mahamadou Issoufou, who was elected in 2011 after the country’s last coup in 2010, is voluntarily stepping down after two five-year terms.

The frontrunner in the 30-strong field is his designated successor, Mohamed Bazoum, 60, a former interior and foreign minister.

Other prominent hopefuls are two former heads of state, Mahamane Ousmane, 70, and Salou Djibo, 55.

Bazoum’s main rival, former prime minister Hama Amadou, 70, was last month barred from contesting the vote on the grounds that in 2017 he was handed a 12-month term for alleged baby trafficking – a charge he says was bogus. 

Campaigning has been overshadowed by the issue of security.

Niger is being battered by jihadists on two fronts – on its southwestern border with Mali, and its southeastern frontier with Nigeria.

Four thousand people in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger died last year from jihadist violence and ethnic bloodshed stirred by Islamists, according to the UN.

In Niger itself, hundreds have died in the past five years, and hundreds of thousands have fled their homes.

The economy, already fragile, has suffered devastating blows.

Around 42% of the population lived last year on under $1.90 (RM7.71) per day, according to the World Bank, while nearly a fifth of its surging population of 23 million relied on food aid.

On Monday, seven troops and 11 suspected jihadists died in an ambush in the southwestern region of Tillaberi, the government said on Thursday.

On December 12, 34 villagers were massacred in Toumour, in the southeastern region of Diffa, on the eve of municipal and regional elections that had been repeatedly delayed because of poor security.

The army has been massively deployed for Sunday’s vote, the authorities say.

“Sporadic attacks will not prevent the stage of the elections,” a spokesman said on Thursday. The attack in Toumour triggered a three-day period of national mourning, but the elections the following day went ahead smoothly, officials say. – AFP, December 27, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 3d

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Malaysia / 1mth

Elections are not a channel to free any individual - Azalina

Malaysia / 1mth

The hate economy: When division becomes a business model

Opinion / 1mth

Elections are not instruments to rewrite legal outcomes

Malaysia / 1mth

‘Want to contest in Negeri? No problem. Update your address first’ – Loke tells Albert Tei

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons