World

Abe reamed out by MPs over scandal, but avoids prosecution

Former Japan PM’s office alleged to have paid more than ¥8 million for dinners attended by supporters over 5 years until 2019

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Dec 2020 4:12PM

Abe reamed out by MPs over scandal, but avoids prosecution
Former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe insists he had no prior knowledge of payments made by his office to supporters. – AFP pic, December 25, 2020

TOKYO – Japan’s former prime minister, Shinzo Abe, apologised to lawmakers today over a scandal involving payments for supporters, a day after prosecutors said they will not indict him in the case.

The country’s longest-serving prime minister has denied any wrongdoing, but acknowledged that he made statements to Parliament that were subsequently shown to be false.

“It turned out that I gave explanations that are contrary to the facts,” he told the lower house.

“Even though I was not aware of it, I feel a moral responsibility. I deeply regret this, and apologise to my fellow lawmakers.”

The case revolves around dinners organised on the eve of government-sponsored cherry-blossom viewing parties.

His office is alleged to have paid more than ¥8 million (RM313,833) for the dinners attended by supporters over five years until 2019, failing to report the expenditures as required by Japanese law.

Abe previously denied that his political office paid for the dinners.

He was questioned by prosecutors over the case, but yesterday, they said they will not take further action against him.

‘Why don’t you step down?’

Abe held a press conference yesterday for the first time since he resigned earlier this year over health reasons, apologising, but insisting he had no knowledge of the payments.

He said he “deeply, deeply” apologises for falsely claiming his office had not paid.

“My political responsibility is very serious. I will do my utmost to regain the people’s trust.”

In Parliament, opposition lawmakers excoriated the former leader.

“You have no intention of finding out the truth at all, and no intention of explaining to the public,” said Takahiro Kuroiwa of the Constitutional Democratic Party (CDP).

“In a private firm, if the president makes false statements 100 times, then makes an excuse saying he or she was deceived by an employee, is it forgiven?” said Kiyomi Tsujimoto, another CDP lawmaker.

“Why don’t you step down as a lawmaker?”

Abe’s successor, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, has also apologised for making statements about the payments that turned out to be false.

While Suga is not expected to face prosecution, it comes at a bad time for his cabinet, with his approval ratings sinking in part over his handling of the third coronavirus wave.

Abe weathered several scandals while in office, including over the cherry-blossom parties, a decades-old tradition intended to honour the great and good for their achievements.

His government was accused of packing the event with supporters, and even inviting a member of Japan’s infamous yakuza.

When the opposition demanded that a guest list be produced, it emerged that the list has been shredded.

While the government denies wrongdoing, Suga has said he will not hold the event next year. – AFP, December 25, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: A boost for Zii Jia despite Malaysia losing to Japan

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus