World

China denying entry to virus mission, WHO says

Beijing determined to control origin story of Covid-19, which has killed more than 1.8 million across the globe

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Jan 2021 4:00PM

China denying entry to virus mission, WHO says
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus expresses disappointment in China over the entry ban, in a rare castigation of the country from the UN body. – AFP pic, January 6, 2021

GENEVA – An expert mission to China to find the origins of the coronavirus pandemic stumbled before it even began, with the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) complaining that Beijing is blocking the team from entering the country.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he is “very disappointed” with the last-minute bar on entry, in a rare castigation of Beijing from the United Nations body.

A 10-strong team is due to arrive in China this week after months of painstaking negotiations.

Beijing is determined to control the origin story of Covid-19, which has killed more than 1.8 million people so far and laid waste to global economies.

The first cases of the virus were recorded in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019, prompting accusations of chaotic, secretive handling by Chinese authorities that led to its spread beyond the country.

US President Donald Trump has called the pandemic the “China virus”.

But, Beijing has so far resisted pressure for a full independent probe into the early days of the outbreak. Instead, it has seeded doubt as to whether the pandemic even started inside its borders.

The WHO mission is billed as a way to cut through the rancour and seek clear answers on how the virus jumped from animals to humans.

But with some of the team already in transit, Beijing has yet to grant them entry, said Tedros.

“Today, we learnt that Chinese officials have not yet finalised the necessary permissions for the team’s arrival in China,” he told reporters yesterday.

“I am very disappointed with this news, given that two members have already begun their journeys, and others were not able to travel at the last minute.”

He stressed that he has been in contact with senior Chinese officials to make clear “that the mission is a priority for WHO and the international team”.

“I have been assured that China is speeding up the internal procedure for the earliest possible deployment.”

The mission is hugely sensitive, and neither WHO nor China had, until now, confirmed when specifically it was due to start.

WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan told yesterday’s briefing that the problem is a lack of visa clearances.

“We trust and we hope that this is just a (logistical) and bureaucratic issue that can be resolved very quickly.” 

There was no immediate comment from China.

‘Critical’ mission

“We were all operating on the understanding that the team would begin deployment today,” said Ryan, adding that two members of the team coming from far away had set off early yesterday, before it became clear that the necessary approvals have not been received.

He stressed the “absolute critical nature” of the mission, acknowledging that the situation is “frustrating and... disappointing”.

The origins of Covid-19 remain bitterly contested, lost in a fog of recriminations and conjecture from the international community – as well as obfuscation from Chinese authorities determined to keep control of the virus narrative.

Scientists initially believed the virus jumped to humans at a market selling exotic animals for meat in Wuhan.

However, experts now think that the market may not have been the origin of the outbreak, but rather, a place where it was amplified.

It is widely assumed that the virus originally came from bats, but the intermediate animal host that transmitted it between bats and humans remains unknown. – AFP, January 6, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus