World

Qatar-Saudi border reopens after thaw

Re-opening follows landmark deal to end a three and a half years of sanctions Saudi Arabia says were in response to Doha's backing radical Islamist groups and closeness to Iran

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Jan 2021 6:30PM

Qatar-Saudi border reopens after thaw
A picture taken on January 7, 2021, shows a general view of the Qatari side of the Abu Samrah border crossing with Saudi Arabia following the opening of crossings between the two countries earlier this week. –  AFP pic, January 9, 2021

DOHA – Qatar and Saudi Arabia reopened their land border today, Qatari sources said, as they restore ties following a landmark deal to end a three and a half year rift.

Saudi shut its side of Qatar's only land border in June 2017 as part of a package of sanctions it said was a response to Doha's backing for radical Islamist groups and closeness to Iran.

Qatar always denied the charges.

“Yes, the border is open,” said one Qatari source, while another confirmed that traffic at the Abu Samrah crossing, 120 kilometres south of Doha, resumed around 0700 GMT.

Saudi Arabia, along with the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt which also imposed an embargo on travel and trade, agreed to lift the restrictions at a Gulf Cooperation Council summit in the kingdom on Tuesday.

On January 4, Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Ahmad Nasser Al-Sabah announced on state television that a deal had been agreed to “open the airspace and land and sea borders between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the State of Qatar”.

“They are letting them go from the Qatar side,” said a witness at the border today.

Qatar has announced strict coronavirus control measures for those arriving from the Saudi side that will require travellers to present a negative test result, undergo a fresh test at the frontier, and quarantine in a government-approved hotel for one week.

“It is a great joy, I bought this new car, a Land Cruiser, in order to go and celebrate with my relatives in Saudi Arabia, and I took the coronavirus test and waited here hoping they would allow us to cross at any moment,” said Zaid Muhammad al-Marri, 23, a Qatari whose mother is Saudi, ahead of the border reopening. –  AFP, January 9, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Attempt to smuggle methamphetamine worth RM12.26m into Malaysia foiled

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

World / 1w

Thai military planning to utilise Israeli drones against insurgents in deep south

Malaysia / 2w

Drones, AI among measures to strengthen border security

World / 2w

Thailand pursues Interpol red notices for Southern insurgents sheltered in Malaysia

Opinion / 3w

The last dredge

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation