World

Pence to attend Biden inauguration

Vice-president becomes latest long-time loyalist to abandon an increasingly isolated President Donald Trump

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Jan 2021 8:20PM

Pence to attend Biden inauguration
US Vice-President Mike Pence has been asked to invoke the 25th Amendment, in which the cabinet removes the sitting president from office. – Twitter pic, January 10, 2021

WASHINGTON – Mike Pence will attend the upcoming inauguration of Joe Biden, multiple media reports said yesterday, the vice-president becoming the latest long-time loyalist to abandon an increasingly isolated President Donald Trump.

Relations between Trump and Pence – previously one of the mercurial president's staunchest defenders – have nosedived since Wednesday, when the vice-president formally announced Biden's victory in November's election.

A mob of far-right demonstrators stormed the US Capitol the same day in a failed bid to stop Congress from certifying Biden's win, in a riot blamed on Trump that left five dead.

Multiple media reports yesterday cited senior administration officials as saying that Pence – who was forced to take shelter from the intruders during the riot – had decided to attend Biden's inauguration on January 20.

The president-elect earlier in the week said Pence would be welcome at his formal swearing-in, due to take place in a scaled-down format due to the coronavirus.

"I think it's important that, as much as we can, stick to what have been the historical precedents of how an administration changes should be maintained," Biden told reporters.

"We'd be honoured to have him there, and to move forward in the transition."

In his final tweet before being removed from Twitter on Friday, Trump said he would not attend the inauguration. 

The outgoing president has been accused of provoking Wednesday's violence, and now faces an unprecedented second impeachment, expected to begin tomorrow.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warned that Democrats will launch the process unless Trump resigns or Pence invokes the 25th Amendment, in which the cabinet removes the president from office.

While Pence has not spoken publicly on the subject, the New York Times reported Thursday he was against invoking the mechanism, never used before in US history. – AFP, January 10, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 9mth

The power of being in the room

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

World / 2y

FBI identifies Trump shooter asThomas Matthew Crooks, 20

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar condemns assassination attempt on Trump

World / 2y

Trump hurt in assassination attempt

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest