World

Silence, division between old allies Trump and Pence

Vice-president refuses intervention to reverse Republican election defeat, now public enemy number one in president’s books

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Jan 2021 9:30AM

Silence, division between old allies Trump and Pence
The relationship between President Donald Trump and his deputy Mike Pence has soured following the recent Capitol attacks when the latter when the latter learnt that Pence will attend president-elect Joe Biden’s January 20 inauguration. – AFP pic, January 11, 2021

WASHINGTON – Since US Vice-President Mike Pence led the Congress session that ceremonially confirmed his boss Donald Trump had lost the November election, relations between the two top Republicans have plummeted to an Arctic chill.

The men have not spoken after the president’s supporters violently stormed the Capitol on Wednesday, according to US media, which also reports that Pence intends to be at Biden’s inauguration despite Trump saying he will skip it.

It is a stark rupture between the precedent-shattering Trump and his deputy, who has been the president’s most devoted foot soldier for the past four years.

“Vice-President Pence, one of the most faithful guys to Donald Trump, is now public enemy number one in Trump World,” Republican lawmaker Adam Kinzinger said Sunday on ABC’s This Week.

In an angry speech outside the White House on Wednesday, Trump urged his supporters to march to the Capitol and demand that Pence, who as vice-president led the joint session of Congress, must intervene to reverse the Republicans’ election defeat.

Pence refused, and he was ultimately the one who announced to lawmakers Trump and his loss to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, the latter of which is the incoming vice-president.

But before the certification was complete, a pro-Trump mob descended on the symbolic seat of American democracy in an attack that ended with five dead and international condemnation.

“Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our country and our constitution,” was the president’s damning assessment on Twitter.

Wednesday’s frenzied riots posed a clear danger to lawmakers, and to Pence himself – who was hustled out of the chamber by Secret Service officers.

Some Trump supporters, furious over Pence’s action, chanted that he should be hanged. Trump reportedly did not call to check whether his deputy is safe.

Once the most loyal of all

While Pence condemned the violence, the president released a video message that urged the rioters to be peaceful but then added: “We love you. You’re very special.”

The gap between the two men appeared to widen further when Trump learned that Pence would attend Biden’s January 20 inauguration, in keeping with tradition.

The president – who says the election was rigged – has declined to attend, despite his claim following the Capitol riot that he wanted to ensure a “peaceful transition”.

Adding to the tension, Pence has reportedly not ruled out backing efforts to invoke the 25th Amendment to oust Trump in his final days in office for being unfit to serve.

It is all very different from Pence’s previously vocal and consistent support for Trump.

Trump called him “as solid as a rock”, and ever-dutiful Pence took on a tough role during Covid-19, fronting up the White House taskforce as public anger grew over the government’s floundering response to the pandemic.

Calm, disciplined and discreet, Pence, 61, was a surprise choice as Trump’s vice-president back in 2016, but he brought with him much-needed support from the Christian right, and he had stayed loyal through many storms.

A former Indiana governor, he is known to be keenly interested in a 2024 run for the White House.

It was always a tricky political challenge for Pence to try to use being Trump’s deputy as a springboard for the top job. It remains unclear if he will emerge undamaged from Trump’s chaotic and violent departure from the White House. – AFP, January 11, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 9mth

The power of being in the room

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

World / 2y

FBI identifies Trump shooter asThomas Matthew Crooks, 20

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar condemns assassination attempt on Trump

World / 2y

Trump hurt in assassination attempt

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month