World

Trial begins for South Korean mum on murder charge

Lawyer admits suspect acted violently against 16-month-old daughter

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Jan 2021 11:00AM

Trial begins for South Korean mum on murder charge
The case of an adoptive mother abusing her 16-month-old baby girl to death has unleashed nationwide grief and anger in South Korea, with people calling for the suspect to be handed the death penalty. – Hankyoreh pic, January 13, 2021

SEOUL – South Korean prosecutors demanded today that an adoptive mother, who is blamed for the death of a 16-month-old baby, stand trial on a murder charge, Yonhap news agency reported.

On the first day of the high-profile case at the Seoul southern district court, prosecutors added a murder charge against the mother, surnamed Jang, who was previously indicted on other charges, including child abuse resulting in death.

The adoptive father was charged with child abuse and neglect.

Prosecutors, however, re-evaluated the cause of the toddler’s death with forensic experts, after suspicions arose that Jang might have had an intention to kill the baby, or at least might have been aware that the girl could die from the suspected beatings and abusive behaviours.

If convicted, the woman is subject to a maximum sentence of life imprisonment or heavier.

At the trial, Jang’s lawyer denied the accusation that his client intentionally harmed the baby, but acknowledged that there were times when she acted violently against the child, such as “dropping”, “pushing” and “shaking” her, which resulted in bone fractures.

“There might be a causal relation between the faults and death, but it is not true that the defendant used force on purpose to cause the victim to die.”

The toddler, named Jung-in, was adopted in February last year and died in October the same year of severe abdominal injuries and internal bleeding caused by “strong external force”.

The adoptive mother insisted the baby sustained the injuries because she accidentally dropped the latter.

An investigative report aired earlier this month has become a catalyst for a renewed focus on Jang’s case, and how no one proactively intervened to prevent the tragedy, despite a series of glaring warning signs.

The nation’s police chief apologised last week over the agency’s botched initial response and inadequate investigation, even though it received three reports about suspected abuse in the span of five months.

The case has unleashed nationwide grief and anger over child abuse, with hundreds of people sending petitions to the court to demand justice for the girl. The trial was aired live in two additional rooms, as more people wanted to attend the trial than the courtroom’s gallery could house.

Outside the court, protesters were seen holding signs demanding the death penalty for Jang, next to a row of funeral wreaths made of white and yellow flowers to mourn the tragic loss of the child.

One message said, “Sorry to notice too late, love you”. – Bernama, January 13, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia / 5d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Grandmother charged with murdering step-granddaughter

Malaysia / 2w

College student charged with causing death of newborn baby girl

Malaysia / 1mth

Transparency, not silence, is how institutions earn trust, says former Mongolian PM

Malaysia / 2mth

44-year-old woman charged with murder of Indonesian

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus