World

UN troops recapture C.African city from rebels

Armed groups flee Bangassou following peackeepers’ Friday ultimatum

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 18 Jan 2021 11:00AM

UN troops recapture C.African city from rebels
UN peacekeeping troops said they have retaken control of Bangassou city in the Central African Republic after it was captured two weeks ago by armed groups fighting the country’s government. – Twitter pic, January 18, 2021

BANGUI – UN peacekeeping troops said they have retaken control of a city in the Central African Republic captured two weeks ago by armed groups waging an offensive against the government of President Faustin Archange Touadera.

Rebels abandoned their positions in Bangassou, 750km east of the capital Bangui, and fled the city following an ultimatum on Friday from the UN peacekeeping force MINUSCA, the mission’s spokesman Vladimir Monteiro said late Saturday.

“The city of Bangassou is under the complete control of MINUSCA,” Monteiro said, though he added that the UN force “remains on alert” to prevent any rebel return or other actions against civilians, the state authority and UN troops.

Armed groups waging a nationwide offensive captured the city on January 3, forcing many residents to flee across the border to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

“It’s a great joy,” Juan Jose Aguirre, the bishop of Bangassou, told AFP, following the UN operation to regain control of the city.

“After 13 days sleeping outdoors, people will be able to return to their homes,” he added.

Lieutenant Colonel Abdoulaziz Fall, spokesman for MINUSCA’s military component, said the UN force intervened to stop attempts at looting overnight Friday to Saturday.

“The situation is calm and under control and positions that had been occupied by armed groups are no longer,” Fall said.

“The looting of the city of Bangassou by the rebels... before their retreat on the arrival of the reinforcements made up of elements of the Rwandan contingent of MINUSCA, shows up one of the aims of these foreign mercenaries: loot our riches and the property of our people,” Prime Minister Firmin Ngrebada said in a Facebook post.

Six of the most powerful armed groups, who have occupied roughly two-thirds of the country for eight years, united a month ago to wage an offensive.

The coalition announced their offensive ahead of the December 27 presidential and legislative vote, aimed at preventing Touadera’s re-election.

On January 4, Touadera was declared the victor, although the political opposition cried foul.

On Sunday, an opposition alliance called on the UN to investigate its special envoy to the country, Mankeur Ndiaye, accusing him of “conspicuously” backing Touadera during the polling.

MINUSCA spokesman Monteiro said on Twitter late Sunday that Ndiaye “remains focussed on his mission... with the total and unreserved support of the international community.”

The election results accounted for only about half of registered voters, as hundreds of thousands were unable to cast their vote in areas held by rebels.

On Wednesday, the rebel forces mounted their closest attack yet to Bangui before being pushed back with the loss of a peacekeeper, the UN said.

The UN refugee agency UNHCR said on Friday that the number of people fleeing violence following the presidential election had doubled in a week to 60,000.

More than 50,000 of those had fled across the Ubangui River to the Democratic Republic of Congo – with 10,000 people arriving in the DRC on Wednesday alone as rebels attacked near Bangui.

Landlocked CAR is one of the world’s poorest nations and has seen a string of coups and wars since it gained independence from France in 1960.

In 2013, it spiralled once more into bloodshed when then-president Francois Bozize, who had himself seized power in a coup a decade earlier, was ousted by a mainly Muslim coalition called the Seleka.

MINUSCA has almost 12,000 military personnel. The peacekeeping mission, first deployed in 2014, has been extended until November 2021. – AFP, 18 January, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war