World

Desperate Conte urges Italy’s pro-EU lawmakers to support fragile government

Despite concessions to Renzi, former premier holds firm on demands amid looming far-right threat

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Jan 2021 10:00AM

Desperate Conte urges Italy’s pro-EU lawmakers to support fragile government
Ahead of a Senate address later today, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte says his coalition government can survive even without the backing of former premier Matteo Renzi’s Italia Viva party. – Twitter pic, January 19, 2021

ROME – Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte appealed to liberal, pro-European lawmakers yesterday to support his teetering government or risk handing power to the nationalist right.

The coalition has been on the brink since former premier Matteo Renzi withdrew his Italia Viva party last week, depriving Conte of his majority in the Senate, parliament's upper house.

In an address to the lower chamber the day before a crucial Senate vote, Conte warned that now was not the time for a new government.

“We risk losing touch with reality...All our energies should be focused on the urgent crisis facing the country," he said, referring to the Covid-19 pandemic that has devastated Italy’s economy and left more than 82,000 dead.

He insisted his coalition, formed in September 2019 and comprising mainly the centre-left Democratic Party (PD) and populist Five Star Movement (M5S), could carry on without Renzi.

He urged lawmakers from “the highest European tradition – liberal, popular and socialist” to join them, adding: “Now we have to turn the page.”

Italy “deserves a cohesive government” with “an essential European mission”, he told the Chamber of Deputies.

Opinion polls suggest that if the current turmoil leads to snap elections, a centre-right coalition including the anti-immigration, anti-European League party could take power.

“Go home!” shouted opposition lawmakers as Conte spoke, while League leader Matteo Salvini tweeted: “The sooner this government goes, the better for the country.”

Conte won a confidence vote last night in the lower chamber, an expected result because his supporters hold a majority.

The true test will come later today when he addresses the Senate, where Renzi’s withdrawal of 18 senators has left him without a majority.

Renzi has been criticising Conte’s handling of the pandemic for weeks, from the months-long closure of high schools to the level of support for small businesses.

Conte, a former law professor who has never been elected, told parliament his government had acted with the “utmost care” taking “decisive action” where needed.

New measures were introduced on Sunday, with shops and restaurants shut and residents urged to stay at home in a number of regions – including Lombardy, comprising Milan.

Italy has been among the European nations worst affected by the pandemic, and is one of the main beneficiaries of a €750 billion (RM3.7 trillion) EU economic recovery fund.

But Renzi has accused the government of wasting the opportunity, judging its €220 billion (RM1.07 trillion) plan for EU funds too focused on vote-winning handouts instead of having a long-term plan for existing issues.

He has also called for Italy to make use of the eurozone’s rescue fund, the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) – a move fiercely resisted by the M5S, which fears it would bring with it tough conditions on public spending.

Conte amended the recovery plan following Renzi’s criticisms, but despite Conte’s concession the Italia Viva politician said yesterday it was “still not working”.

What was needed, Renzi wrote in his regular newsletter, was a “unifying dream for the country and not a hunt for a single vote in parliament”.

Renzi has said his party will abstain in today’s vote, suggesting Conte will get the numbers he needs to stay in office – but without the majority necessary to form a long-term stable government.

Giovanni Orsina, head of the Luiss School of Government in Rome, predicted that “the Conte government will more or less survive as it is with a smaller majority, and therefore with a more marked parliamentary weakness”.

The premier gave some ground to Renzi on Monday, agreeing to delegate control of the security services – a long-running cause of criticism – in a move that might win over some in the Senate.

But the new government risks being extremely shaky at a time when many decisions need to be taken, not least pushing the EU recovery plan through parliament before it must be submitted to Brussels in April.

“What will be unprecedented is a minority government (backed by an unwieldy coalition) attempting to lead the country out of the deepest economic crisis since World War II in the middle of a pandemic,” said Wolfango Piccoli of the Teneo consultancy. – AFP, January 19, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt