World

UN chief urges Israel to stop new settlement construction in West Bank

Move has ‘has no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation under international law’, says Antonio Guterres

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Jan 2021 11:30AM

UN chief urges Israel to stop new settlement construction in West Bank
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres say Israel’s latest move to establish settlements in the occupied West Bank ‘further erodes’ the possibility of achieving lasting peace and a two-state solution. – Twitter pic, January 19, 2021

NEW YORK – UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has urged Israel to “halt and reverse” its decision last week to build 800 new homes for Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank.

The decision is “a major obstacle to the achievement of the two-state solution, and a just, lasting and comprehensive peace” in the Middle East, Guterres said in a statement.

“The establishment by Israel of settlements in the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, has no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation under international law.

“Settlement expansion... further erodes the possibility of ending the occupation and establishing a contiguous and viable sovereign Palestinian State, based on the pre-1967 lines,” Guterres said.

Israel on Sunday approved the construction of 780 homes in the occupied West Bank, ordered last Monday by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

All Jewish settlements in the West Bank are regarded as illegal by much of the international community.

There are currently some 450,000 Jewish settlers in the West Bank, living among an estimated 2.8 million Palestinians. – AFP, January 19, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1h

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia / 2d

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

Malaysia / 3w

KDN: Israeli travel documents not recognised for entry into Malaysia

Malaysia / 1mth

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Malaysia / 1mth

Network School postpones new investments in Malaysia, seeks government guarantee

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran