World

Hong Kong says top UK lawyer quits team prosecuting dissidents

City’s authorities say so-called ‘mercenary’ barrister pulls out after British criticism

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Jan 2021 10:30PM

Hong Kong says top UK lawyer quits team prosecuting dissidents
David Perry QC was announced last week as lead prosecutor in the upcoming trial of nine well-known Hong Kong activists, but has now pulled out for what the city’s judiciary said was ‘growing pressure and criticism from the UK community’. – AFP pic, January 20, 2021

HONG KONG – A top British barrister has pulled out of leading a team prosecuting a group of prominent Hong Kong dissidents, the city’s authorities said Wednesday, following growing criticism in the UK.

David Perry was announced last week as lead prosecutor in the upcoming trial of nine well-known activists, including media tycoon Jimmy Lai and former lawmaker Martin Lee, on charges of unlawful assembly.

But Perry’s involvement sparked a row in the UK about legal ethics, and whether British lawyers should be involved in helping Beijing’s ongoing crackdown on dissent in the restless financial hub.

Hong Kong’s Department of Justice said today that “growing pressure and criticism from the UK community”, as well as the city’s lengthy quarantine requirements during the coronavirus pandemic, had led to Perry pulling out. 

“Mr Perry, QC, expressed concerns about such pressures...and indicated that the trial should proceed without him,” the department said in a statement, calling criticism of Perry’s role in upcoming trials “ill-informed”.

On Sunday, UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab led criticism of Perry’s involvement as “pretty mercenary”.

“I understand in the case of Mr Perry, in relation to the pro-democracy activists, and of course from Beijing’s point of view, this would be a serious PR coup,” Raab told Sky news.

Unlike the opaque, party-controlled legal system on China’s mainland, where conviction rates are around 99 percent, Hong Kong maintains an independent common law system which has formed the bedrock of the city’s economic success.

It is not unusual for lawyers from other common law jurisdictions overseas to work in Hong Kong, both on defence and prosecution teams, as well as in commercial and contract law; and foreign judges also do stints on the city’s top court.

Perry has been a regular Department of Justice pick to prosecute high-profile cases, but his dropping out of this trial illustrates the quandary foreign lawyers and judges can now face in engaging with Hong Kong’s legal system, which has come under enormous pressure recently.

Last year, following huge and often brutally repressed pro-democracy protests in 2019, Beijing imposed a draconian national security law on Hong Kong which effectively criminalised much dissent in a city supposedly guaranteed key liberties and autonomy.

It also toppled the legal firewall between the two territories, giving China jurisdiction over major national security cases and allowing its security agents to operate openly in the city for the first time. 

Nearly 100 people have been arrested since the law came in and could face life sentences if convicted. The trial Perry was involved in is not a national security prosecution. 

Instead it centres on the involvement of nine of the city’s most prominent activists on charges of attending or organising some of the democracy protests in 2019. – AFP, January 20, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 6d

Over 700 students from over 20 countries gather in Hong Kong summit

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations