World

Missing Catholic priest found dead in Burkina Faso

Victim’s car found empty on main road, jihadists suspected to be responsible for murder

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Jan 2021 11:00AM

Missing Catholic priest found dead in Burkina Faso
Everything looks like a kidnapping by jihadists, says a Burkina Faso security source about a missing Catholic priest found dead recently. – Twitter pic, January 22, 2021

OUAGADOUGOU – A priest missing since Tuesday in Burkina Faso’s jihadist-plagued southwest has been found dead, security and local sources said yesterday.

“The priest’s lifeless body was found in the Toumousseni Forest” in the Cascades region bordering Ivory Coast and Mali, a security source said.

A local politician confirmed that the priest, Abbot Rodrigue Sanon from the Notre Dame de Soubaganyedougou parish, had been found dead.

While the priest’s disappearance and death remain unexplained, Burkina Faso’s southeast harbours jihadists and bandits – much like parts of neighbouring states in the Sahel region.

Sanon had left his parish on Tuesday heading for the regional capital Banfora, but “never arrived”, bishop Lucas Kalfa Sanou said Wednesday in a statement.

His car was found empty on the main road and security forces launched a search operation.

“Everything looks like a kidnapping by armed terrorist groups,” a security source in the capital Ouagadougou told AFP, using Sahel governments’ preferred terminology for jihadists.

“They must have executed their hostage to slip by the military cordon,” the source added.

Since 2015, jihadist groups – some affiliated to al-Qaeda and others to the Islamic State militant group – have launched increasing numbers of attacks in Burkina Faso, one of the poorest countries in the world.

Over that period, 1,100 people have been killed and more than one million have fled.

Last August, the grand imam of the northern town of Djibo was found dead three days after gunmen stopped the car he was travelling in and kidnapped him.

In March 2019, a priest in Djibo was kidnapped, and in February 2018, a Catholic missionary, Cesar Fernandez, was murdered in the centre of the country. – AFP, January 22, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 5d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Grandmother charged with murdering step-granddaughter

Malaysia / 2w

College student charged with causing death of newborn baby girl

Malaysia / 1mth

Transparency, not silence, is how institutions earn trust, says former Mongolian PM

Malaysia / 2mth

44-year-old woman charged with murder of Indonesian

Malaysia / 2mth

Killing, burning pregnant girlfriend; Prosecution requests death penalty to be upheld

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest