World

Italy investigates TikTok ‘blackout challenge’ death of girl, 10

Country temporarily blocked access to app for users whose age cannot be proved definitively

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Jan 2021 12:00PM

Italy investigates TikTok ‘blackout challenge’ death of girl, 10
TikTok says it had not managed to identify any content on its site that could have encouraged the girl to participate in any such challenge. – AFP pic, January 23, 2021

ROME – Italian prosecutors have opened a probe into the accidental death of a 10-year-old girl who allegedly took part in a "blackout challenge" on the video-sharing network TikTok.

The investigation came as Italy announced it had temporarily blocked access to TikTok for users whose age could not be proved definitively.

According to TikTok's terms and conditions users must be at least 13 years old.

The girl died in a Palermo hospital after being discovered Wednesday by her 5-year-old sister in the family bathroom with her cellphone, which was seized by police.

TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, said yesterday it had not managed to identify any content on its site that could have encouraged the girl to participate in any such challenge, but was helping the authorities in the probe over possible "incitement to suicide".

"The safety of the TikTok community is our absolute priority, for this motive we do not allow any content that encourages, promotes or glorifies behaviour that could be dangerous," a TikTok spokesman said.

The Italian Data Protection Authority said in a statement later yesterday that it would "block the (Chinese) social media network" with immediate effect until February 15, by which date the network will have to meet the regulator's demands.

Medical experts have warned about the danger of the challenge being taken up by some young people, who refer to it as "scarfing" or "the choking game" in which restricted oxygen to the brain results in a high.

The girls' parents told La Repubblica newspaper that another daughter explained that her sister "was playing the blackout game".

"We didn't know anything," the girl's father told the paper. 

"We didn't know she was participating in this game. We knew that (our daughter) went on TikTok for dances, to look at videos. How could I imagine this atrocity?" he said.

Italy's data protection agency filed a suit against TikTok last month, alleging a "lack of attention to the protection of minors" and criticising the ease with which very young children could sign up to the video app.

TikTok, which went global in 2018, has built its rapid success on its parodies, messages and short dance or comedy video performances set against popular music – along with an algorithm that determines which content is most likely to interest each user.

The death of the young girl provoked strong reactions in Italy and calls for better regulation of social networks. 

"Social networks can't become a jungle where anything is allowed," said Licia Ronzulli, president of Italy's parliamentary commission on child protection. – AFP, January 23, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Two podcasters remanded for two days over alleged controversial episode

Malaysia / 3mth

Food stall operator in Ipoh robbed by two men, daughter appeals for help (video)

Malaysia / 5mth

Defence questions prosecution's reliance on TikTok videos presented in Muhyiddin's trial

Malaysia / 5mth

Timorese man gets 10 years’ jail for raping girl he met on TikTok

People / 5mth

Rape victim, now pregnant, takes to social media seeking prayers

Malaysia / 11mth

Fahmi, IGP, AG to meet TikTok over fake news, online safety issues

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation