World

Russia wages online battle against TikTok and YouTube

Activists fear move will tighten government control of cyberspace, stifle free speech in the country

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Jan 2021 8:00PM

Russia wages online battle against TikTok and YouTube
Russian regulator Roskomnadzor says TikTok ‘deleted 38% of information inciting minors to dangerous illegal actions’, adding that other social networks including Instagram and YouTube also removed content at its request. – Pixabay pic, January 23, 2021

MOSCOW – “I’m an American!” a young Russian under the username Neurolera exclaims in English on the popular video-sharing app TikTok as she explains how to impersonate a tourist to avoid arrest at a street demonstration.

Her video – published ahead of rallies planned in support of jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny – has been viewed more than 500,000 times while videos demanding Navalny’s release garnered hundreds of millions of views on the platform.

In Russia, where state-controlled media outlets co-exist in stark contrast with online platforms popular among the opposition, authorities have ramped up efforts to contain and even replace sites that are seen as a threat.

YouTube has become the primary source of news for many young Russians. The videos of web star Yuri Dud, known for his interviews with celebrities, or anti-graft campaigner Navalny are enjoying more and more success.

Soon after Navalny’s arrest, his team published a two-hour investigation into a lavish palace on the Black Sea allegedly belonging to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The video has been viewed more than 65 million times on YouTube since its publication on Tuesday. 

Russian authorities have in recent years started tightening the "Runet" – the Russian segment of the Internet – in the name of fighting extremism, terrorism and protecting minors. 

In 2019, Russia passed a law for the development of “sovereign Internet” aimed at isolating the Runet from the worldwide web, a move activists fear will tighten government control of cyberspace and stifle free speech.

Fines and failures

Russia's media watchdog Roskomnadzor this week reacted to a wave of calls for protests in support of Navalny by threatening social media networks with fines if they do not delete content inciting minors to participate in the demonstrations.

On the eve of the rallies, Roskomnadzor said TikTok “deleted 38% of information inciting minors to dangerous illegal actions”, adding that other social networks including Instagram and YouTube also removed content on its request. 

Facebook said however it had not removed any of the information in question.

“We’ve received requests from the local regulator to restrict access to certain content that calls for protest,” said a Facebook spokesman.

“Since this content doesn’t violate our community standards, it remains on our platform.”

Platforms that do not comply can face fines of up to 4 million rubles (RM214,279), Roskomnadzor said.

Russia has already banned a number of websites that have refused to cooperate with authorities, such as the video platform Dailymotion and professional networking website LinkedIn. 

But banning YouTube, which is owned by tech giant Google, would prove a more difficult task.

“Roskomnadzor doesn’t have a lot of funds,” said Artyom Kozlyuk, head of the Roskomsvoboda digital rights NGO. “They have practically no leverage.” 

He added that it was difficult to put pressure on Western social networks which would be “dealt a blow to their reputation” if they made concessions for a political regime.

Local competitors 

In the case of TikTok the procedure could be facilitated by the Kremlin's proximity to China, an expert in internet censorship, but Moscow still comes up against a lack of knowledge of this popular social network.

The Kremlin-funded broadcaster RT on Wednesday said courses would be offered to officials to help understand youth slang on sites like TikTok.

Last year Russia conceded its failure to ban the encrypted messenger Telegram after months of unsuccessful attempts to block it. 

Authorities are instead aiming to build local competitors such as “RuTube” – which belongs to Russia's leading media holding Gazprom Media controlled by energy giant Gazprom – a video platform that currently has only government-approved content.

So far the site pales in comparison to YouTube.

But Gazprom Media chief executive officer Alexander Zharov, the former chief of Roskomnadzor, said that in the next two years they would launch an improved version of RuTube. 

He also announced the development of a “Russian TikTok” developed with the support of Innopraktika foundation, an organisation run by Katerina Tikhonova – one of Putin's alleged daughters.

Kozlyuk said that after more than 20 years of free internet, these efforts are coming far too late.

He said the authorities “missed their chance”.– AFP, January 23, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Education / 1w

Zambry leads Malaysia delegation to Russia for bilateral cooperation talks

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations