World

Portuguese brave lockdown for presidential polls

Low turnout rates could trigger a second round of voting

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Jan 2021 2:00PM

Portuguese brave lockdown for presidential polls
Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is widely expected to come out on top of today's election, if enough people brave Portugal's virus lockdown to vote. – AFP pic, January 24, 2021

PARIS – Portuguese voters have been asked to venture out despite the country’s pandemic lockdown today for a presidential election widely expected to see centre-right incumbent Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa win another term.

Polls point to a first-round win for Rebelo de Sousa, a former political commentator turned approachable head of state known for candid moments like queueing at the supermarket in shorts, plunging into the sea to help girls whose canoe had capsized or sharing a meal with homeless people.

But observers have their eye on how a far-right challenger will perform – and whether a plunge in turnout could produce an upset.

At stake is a post with the power to dissolve parliament and call fresh elections – a pivotal constitutional role with a minority government in power.

Portugal has been under a second national lockdown for the past 10 days aimed at braking a surge in coronavirus cases.

The country recorded its worst daily coronavirus death toll and number of new infections on Saturday bringing fatalities to over 10,000.

More than 80,000 infections were reported in the past week to Friday, the highest rate worldwide in proportion to its 10.8 million people, according to an AFP tally based on government figures.

Almost every new day brings a fresh record in case numbers, and the government has now shut schools for two weeks on top of shops and restaurants.

Keep it to one round

In his final campaign speech, Rebelo de Sousa – one of the rare politicians often referred to simply by his first name – urged voters to back him so as to avoid a second round.

That would “spare the Portuguese people from the election being stretched out over three crucial weeks” – time that could be better spent slowing the pandemic, the former minister and co-founder of the centre-right Social Democratic Party (PSD) said.

“An abstention rate of 70% would be enough to make a second round almost unavoidable,” the 72-year-old warned.

Lower turnout could also upset the expected easy win for Rebelo de Sousa, with polls giving him 58% of the first-round vote – far ahead of socialist challenger Ana Gomes and far-right populist Andre Ventura, on 15% and 10%.

A first-round re-election would fit in with Portugal’s experience since adopting democratic government in 1974, with all four of the president’s predecessors securing a second five-year term this way.

Nevertheless, in a long political career “I’ve seen more failures than victories, so I keep things in perspective”, “Marcelo” said recently when asked if he hadn’t been campaigning hard enough.

“When I lost it wasn’t the end of the world. And when I won, I didn’t think I was the best.”

Far-right challenge

Rebelo de Sousa’s popularity with voters has not suffered from his indulgence of Prime Minister Antonio Costa’s socialist minority government.

He is so well-liked that the socialist party didn’t even bother putting up a candidate, denying its backing to 66-year-old Gomes, a former diplomat and European lawmaker turned anti-corruption activist.

Meanwhile Ventura, the 38-year-old founder of right-wing populist party Chega – “Enough” – says he is in the running to “crush the Left”, which is fielding three out of the seven candidates.

Portugal has so far been largely spared the anti-establishment surges from the right that have reshaped the political landscape in many larger EU nations in recent years.

Ventura secured his party’s first and only parliamentary seat at 2019 legislative elections, winning the backing of 70,000 voters or 1.3%. – AFP, January 24, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

Malaysia / 2w

Put all differences aside and focus on the rakyat - Izzah

Malaysia / 3w

No landslide expected as Negeri battle goes down to the wire

Malaysia / 1mth

Stability and national economic growth should be prioritised – former MP

Malaysia / 1mth

BN’s 11 unnamed seats fuel speculation of PN pact in Negeri Sembilan polls

Malaysia / 1mth

Rumours rife over KJ contesting Negeri polls, possibly in Rembau

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations