World

Borders tightened as coronavirus curfew fury spills over

The United States is set to join France, Israel and Sweden in pulling up the drawbridge to certain arrivals

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Jan 2021 10:30PM

Borders tightened as coronavirus curfew fury spills over
United States President Joe Biden last week tightened mask-wearing rules and ordered quarantine for people flying into the country, which topped 25 million cases yesterday. – AFP pic, January 25, 2021 

HONG KONG – Border restrictions were being tightened around the world today in the face of an unrelenting coronavirus threat, after a weekend in which anger at social distancing rules bubbled over into fiery clashes in the Netherlands.

The United States was set to join France, Israel and Sweden in pulling up the drawbridge to certain arrivals, with special concern about new strains of the pathogen that originated in Britain and South Africa.

"When I arrive in a country, the idea is not to contaminate it," Antoine, an 18-year old Belgian, said  at Paris’ main international airport after new rules on tests for EU arrivals came into force.

“It's up to us to show that we are civic-minded,” said Spaniard Claudio Barraza.

The stipulations came as Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador became the latest public figure to test positive for the disease, and New Zealand reported its first community case for more than two months.

In Washington, President Joe Biden will today reimpose a ban on most non-US citizens who have been in Britain, Brazil, Ireland and much of Europe. It is also adding South Africa to the list, a senior White House official said.

Biden last week tightened mask-wearing rules and ordered quarantine for people flying into the country, which topped 25 million cases yesterday.

Since it emerged in late 2019, Covid-19 has killed more than 2.1 million people, with almost 99 million cases registered, according to an AFP tally from official figures.

Yesterday, France started demanding a negative PCR test for arrivals by sea and air from European Union neighbours.

Sweden said it would prohibit entry from neighbouring Norway for three weeks, after cases of the more infectious British strain were detected in Oslo.

And in Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the country was "closing the skies hermetically, except for rare exceptions" to both arrivals and departures for a week.

Fury in the Netherlands

Protests against a coronavirus curfew in the Netherlands degenerated into clashes with police and looting in cities across the country Sunday, a day after a Covid-19 testing centre was set on fire in the northern village of Urk.

Police used water cannons and dogs in Amsterdam, public television NOS reported, after hundreds gathered to protest the 9 pm-4:30 am curfew, set to last until February 10.

At least 30 people were arrested in Eindhoven, where mayor John Jorritsma told reporters that if the country continued “down this path, then I think we are heading for civil war”.

In New Zealand, officials confirmed the first case of Covid-19 in the community for more than two months, in a 56-year-old woman who recently returned from Europe.

Vaccination challenges

Scientists say the only way out of the pandemic is large scale vaccinations, but the roll-out has stuttered in many places.

Egypt began its programme, with a doctor and a nurse getting the Chinese-made Sinopharm jab.

Health Minister Hala Zayed said Cairo had inked deals for vaccine shipments from British, Chinese and Russian firms, for a total of around 100 million doses – enough for about half Egypt’s population.

In India, around one-third of people are not turning up for vaccine appointments, with fear of side effects high after reports of a few cases of severe reactions spread widely through the media and messaging services.

Australia’s medical regulator formally approved the Pfizer vaccine, with the first doses expected to be administered in late February, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said today.

On the long-term economic impacts of the pandemic, anti-poverty group Oxfam said today the emergency was aggravating inequality.

“The 1,000 richest people on the planet recouped their Covid-19 losses within just nine months, but it could take more than a decade for the world’s poorest to recover,” the group said. – AFP, January 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

No new cases of Nipah virus reported in Malaysia so far - MOH

Malaysia / 2y

Govt to set up agency to police country’s entry points, says Saifuddin

Health / 3y

'Lucky to still be alive': Living with HIV for over 30 years

Tech / 3y

How to protect your Mac, with or without antivirus software

Health / 3y

Think you know everything about dengue? Think again

World / 3y

WHO concerned about bird flu after girl’s father tests positive

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran