World

China’s virus vigilance trashes travel plans for millions

No stay-at-home order, but travel now all but unfeasible

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Jan 2021 8:00PM

China’s virus vigilance trashes travel plans for millions
With cases on the rise, authorities are hemming in movement with a complex web of localised lockdowns, virus tests, transport restrictions, and vaguely worded travel advice. – AFP pic, January 28, 2021

BEIJING – The travel plans of millions were thrown into disarray today by cancelled trains, flights, and the Chinese government’s “advice” to stay at home ahead of the Lunar New Year, a sign of China’s determination to keep virus cases low at all costs.

The capital Beijing is in the grip of a “complex Covid-19 situation”, city health authorities warned today, as the start of the 40-day peak travel period began for the Lunar New Year holiday.

The festival, for many Chinese people the only opportunity to see relatives in the year, sees the world’s biggest annual human movement as hundreds of millions criss-cross the country.

But with cases on the rise – albeit at just scores a day, a fraction of the daily numbers in the United States, United Kingdom, and European Union – authorities are hemming in movement with a complex web of localised lockdowns, virus tests, transport restrictions, and vaguely worded travel advice.

China has not issued a stay-at-home order, but is instead making travel all but unfeasible and requesting cooperation from its vast population.

That is especially the case in Beijing, where the Communist Party’s annual showpiece gathering of the National People's Congress is set to be held in March.

“People in the capital city are urged to avoid unnecessary outbound trips and gatherings,” Beijing’s health authority said today in its daily Covid-19 update.

“In response to the grave and complex Covid-19 situation in Beijing, the city authorities have proposed that residents stay put” during the holiday, the report added.

Hundreds of flights in and out of Beijing had been cancelled as of Thursday afternoon, according to flight tracker VariFlight.

Chinese people across the country are also being nudged into staying put – with Yiwu city government in the east offering vouchers, phone data, and free winter camps for children to entice residents to remain.

Authorities have asked entertainment streaming services to offer free movies, TV, and sports services during the holiday to help people pass the time at home, while the three largest mobile operators – China Mobile, China Telecom, and China Unicom – will give 20GB free data to users based in Beijing during the festival.

A commentary released on Xinhua said the “non-mandatory” appeal for people to stay where they were was to avoid a major outbreak which could spark “massive lockdowns” and “weakened confidence”.

That risks unpicking the economic rebound which saw GDP growth last year recorded at 2%, which made China the only major economy to post positive figures in a year lost to the virus.

Mass testing regimes have been imposed across a number of Beijing neighbourhoods where small clusters of the virus have been detected, as fears abound of new strains ripping through a vast population.

China says it has also begun using anal swabs to test those it considers at high risk of contracting Covid-19, prompting social media users and travellers to squirm over the invasive procedure.

Officials took anal swabs from residents of neighbourhoods with confirmed Covid-19 cases in Beijing last week, broadcaster CCTV said yesterday, while those in designated quarantine facilities have also undergone the test.

The virus first emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in late 2019.

The country’s National Health Commission says 4,636 people have died in the country as a result of the virus.

In comparison, more than 400,000 Americans have died so far as the sickness rips through its population and economy, while the UK recorded its 100,000th fatality this week. – AFP, January 28, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation