World

WHO virus experts to start Wuhan fieldwork at wet market

It is also poised to visit Wuhan Institute of Virology, CDC laboratory after meeting China officials

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Jan 2021 1:30PM

WHO virus experts to start Wuhan fieldwork at wet market
Chinese officials arriving for meetings with the World Health Organisation team investigating the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic at the Hilton Wuhan Optics Valley Hotel in Wuhan, China, today. – AFP pic, January 29, 2021

WUHAN – Experts from the World Health Organisation met Chinese officials today ahead of their first site visits here for a coronavirus origins probe, which will take in a food market presumed to be "ground zero" of the pandemic.

The fieldwork was set to begin in earnest in the afternoon, after being hobbled by delays – and amid fears over access and the strength of evidence a year after the virus emerged.

The team will visit hospitals, as well as meeting scientists, first responders and some of the early patients to be hit by the then-unknown coronavirus that has gone on to kill more than two million people across the world and flatline the global economy.

Crucially, "field visits will include the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Huanan market, Wuhan CDC laboratory", the WHO said in a tweet late yesterday – three sites now indelibly linked with the virus.

The Huanan market, which remains boarded up, is believed to have been the outbreak's first major cluster.

Meanwhile, the Wuhan Institute of Virology houses a virus testing facility which was weaponised by former US president Donald Trump, who until his final days in office, pushed the unsubstantiated theory that the virus escaped from there.

The mission's exact itinerary remains unclear – tweets from the WHO and their experts are so far the main source of information.

The highly politicised mission has been beset by delays with China refusing access until mid-January, while Washington has demanded a "robust and clear" investigation.

China yesterday warned the US against "political interference" during a trip which the WHO insists will be tethered tightly to the science behind how the virus jumped to humans.

Beijing is desperate to take the air out of the blame game and instead train attention on its handling and recovery from the outbreak.

In a tweet late yesterday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he had had a "frank discussion" with China's Health Minister Ma Xiaowei.

"I asked that the international scientists get the support, access & data needed, and the chance to engage fully with their Chinese counterparts," he said.

The experts left a two-week quarantine yesterday under the glare of the global media.

China's National Health Commission says 4,636 people have died in the country as a result of the virus.

The nation's GDP grew 2.3% in 2020, the only major economy to do so.

In comparison, more than 400,000 Americans have died so far as the sickness rips through its population and economy, while the UK recorded its 100,000th fatality this week. – AFP, January 29, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest