World

Daniel Pearl’s family to challenge Pakistan murder acquittals

Family of slain journalist joins Pakistani authorities in making plea for verdict’s reversal

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Jan 2021 11:00PM

Daniel Pearl’s family to challenge Pakistan murder acquittals
The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the acquittal of Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh and three other men last year for the murder of US journalist Daniel Pearl, triggering outrage. – Twitter pic, January 31, 2021

ISLAMABAD – The family of slain American journalist Daniel Pearl will challenge an order by Pakistan’s top court to release a British-born militant acquitted of masterminding his kidnapping and brutal murder in 2002.

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the acquittal of Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh and three other men last year, triggering outrage from the United States.

Pearl was the South Asia bureau chief for The Wall Street Journal when he was abducted and beheaded by jihadists in Karachi in January 2002 while researching a story about Islamist militants.

“The Pearl family intends to file a review petition against the illegal and unjust majority decision,” parents Ruth and Judea Pearl said in a statement that was tweeted by the murdered journalist's friend and former Wall Street Journal colleague Asra Nomani.

They join both the federal government and Sindh provincial government –  of which the city of Karachi is the capital – in launching a plea for the latest verdict to be reviewed. 

Lawyers for Pearl’s family have argued that Sheikh played a crucial role in organising the abduction and detention of the journalist before ordering his captors to kill him. 

Defence lawyers, however, say he was a scapegoat and sentenced on insufficient evidence

“It is beyond belief that Ahmad Omar Sheikh – who after 18 years of lies, had finally admitted in a handwritten letter to the court his role in the kidnapping for ransom of Daniel Pearl – has been given a clean slate and let loose once again upon the world to continue his international terrorist activities,” Pearl’s parents said in the statement. 

The four men – who have been detained under the emergency orders of Sindh government since their acquittal last year – still have multiple court challenges linked to their case. 

Sheikh, a British-born jihadist who once studied at the London School of Economics and had been involved in previous kidnappings of foreigners, was arrested days after Pearl's abduction. 

He was later sentenced to death.

US President Joe Biden’s administration was “outraged by the Pakistani Supreme Court’s decision”, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters last week. 

The new US Secretary of State, Antony J. Blinken, on Friday spoke with Pakistan’s foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, pressing his “concern about the potential release of these prisoners”, a spokesman for the US State Department said. – AFP, January 31, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren