World

Trump names new defence lawyers for impeachment trial

Tough, media-honed criminal case experts David Schoen and Bruce Castor hired to represent ex-president at trial

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Feb 2021 9:00PM

Trump names new defence lawyers for impeachment trial
Having broken with his original legal team over strategy, former US president Donald Trump has hired two prolific criminal defence lawyers to help him avoid conviction, for the second time in a year. – AFP pic, February 2, 2021

WASHINGTON – One declined to prosecute Bill Cosby for rape, trading lawsuits instead with his alleged victim; another considered defending alleged sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

The two lawyers former president Donald Trump has hired to defend him in his Senate impeachment trial are confident, tough and media-honed criminal case experts who could liven up what is already set to be a nationally televised spectacle.

A day after breaking with his original legal team, reportedly over strategy, on Sunday Trump named David Schoen and Bruce Castor to represent him at the trial.

They have one week to muster a strategy to ensure that the ex-president receives enough support from Republican senators to avoid conviction, for the second time in one year.

That should be easy: conviction requires a two-thirds majority of the 100-member Senate, and already 45 of the 50 Republicans have signalled they believe trying Trump after he has left office is unconstitutional.

But according to reports, Trump has been adamant about arguing the case that President Joe Biden’s election win was based on fraud.

That claim, despite there being no evidence to support it, propelled the violent assault on the US Capitol that forced Trump’s vice-president Mike Pence to go into secure hiding and left hundreds of members of Congress fearing for their safety.

Arguing such a case could conceivably erode some of the already tenuous Republican support for Trump. The strategy reportedly contributed to the split with his original defence team.

Constitutionality question

The turmoil with his legal team may have persuaded Trump to change his mind on the strategy.

“The strength of our constitution is about to be tested like never before in our history,” Castor said in the statement issued by Trump to announce the new line-up.

Schoen reiterated that stance in an interview with Fox News yesterday, saying the impeachment trial is “tearing the country apart at a time when we don’t need anything like that”.

The two attorneys will face prosecutors – Democrats from the House of Representatives – arguing the single charge of “incitement of insurrection”.

They allege that Trump fostered sedition by stoking the January 6 attack on the Capitol that left five people dead and halted, for several hours, Congress’ certification of Biden as the election winner.

Trump had earlier called for the process to be stopped.

Both attorneys have deep court experience.

Schoen is a trial lawyer from Atlanta, Georgia, with a record of picking up notorious cases and clients. He helped convicted Trump political advisor Roger Stone in his appeal case, before Trump pardoned Stone.

He was also in discussions to represent Epstein before he committed suicide ahead of his trial for the sex trafficking of minors.

“I represented all sorts of reputed mobster figures,” Schoen told the Atlanta Jewish Times in an interview last year, pointing to organised crime figures from Russia, Israel, and Italy.

Castor, 59, spent much of his legal career as a prosecutor in Pennsylvania, rising from the county level to become the top state attorney.

He was criticised for declining in 2005 to prosecute mega-celebrity Cosby for rape, saying the evidence against him was too weak to win a trial. He went on to trade defamation lawsuits with the alleged victim, Andrea Constand.

The case moved forward under Castor’s successor, and Cosby was convicted in 2018.

After Trump’s original five lawyers dropped out on Saturday, the need to assemble a new team was urgent. The ex-president needs to submit a formal response to the summons to trial today.

On February 8, his team then needs to submit a pretrial brief, opening the way for arguments to begin, probably a day later.

The change in the defence team so close to trial, said George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley, should lead to a postponement.

“A week is clearly insufficient to prepare a defence,” he said on Twitter.

But with Trump’s acquittal widely considered a foregone conclusion, it might not matter. – AFP, February 2, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 9mth

The power of being in the room

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

World / 2y

FBI identifies Trump shooter asThomas Matthew Crooks, 20

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar condemns assassination attempt on Trump

World / 2y

Trump hurt in assassination attempt

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus