World

Samsung boss on trial over ‘manipulated’ takeover deal

Vice-chairman accused of stock manipulation, breach of trust and other offences during 2015 merger

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Apr 2021 4:30PM

Samsung boss on trial over ‘manipulated’ takeover deal
Lee Jae-yong, the vice-chairman of Samsung Electronics and the grandson of the group’s founder, says he will not allow his children to take over from him at the firm. – EPA pic, April 22, 2021

SEOUL – The jailed de facto leader of the giant Samsung group went on trial today over an allegedly manipulated takeover in proceedings that effectively put South Korea’s system of conglomerate control in the dock.

Samsung – whose flagship subsidiary is among the world’s biggest smartphone and computer chip makers – is by far the largest of the family-controlled empires known as chaebols that dominate business in South Korea, the world’s 12th-largest economy.

Chaebol families often have only a small ownership stake in their empires, but maintain control through complex webs of cross-shareholdings between units.

Lee Jae-yong, the vice-chairman of Samsung Electronics and the grandson of the group’s founder, is accused of stock manipulation, breach of trust and other offences when two other subsidiaries, Samsung C&T and Cheil Industries, merged in 2015.

A court spokesman confirmed to AFP that Lee was present in court.

Lee was the largest shareholder in Cheil Industries, and critics say Samsung sought to artificially lower the price of C&T to give him a bigger stake in the merged entity – a key part of the Samsung structure – consolidating his grip on the conglomerate ahead of his father’s death last year.

He is already serving a two-and-a-half year prison sentence for bribery, embezzlement and other offences in connection with the corruption scandal that brought down South Korean president Park Geun-hye.

Lee’s father, Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee, died in October, leaving his heirs a vast fortune and an inheritance tax bill of around 13 trillion won (RM48 billion), with the first instalment due by the end of this month. 

Samsung is crucial to South Korea’s economic health, and is active in sectors ranging from construction to healthcare to insurance.

But Vladimir Tikhonov, professor of Korean Studies at the University of Oslo, told AFP: “The most problematic aspect is the attempted continuation of the unchallenged dynastic rule over a company that is responsible over 20% of South Korea’s GDP.

“Samsung’s main stakeholders are its shareowners, including the minor ones, its workers and South Korean society as a whole,” he said.

“It is too big to be a dynastic property.”

The trial was originally due to start last month but was delayed when Lee had emergency surgery for appendicitis.

He apologised last May for some governance issues at the group, pledging to ensure “there will be no more controversy over the succession” and that he would not allow his children to take over from him at the firm. – AFP, April 22, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Datuk Seri charged with embezzlement of company funds exceeding RM37 million

Malaysia / 1w

Is reputation worth so much more than a person’s life?

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Malaysia / 1mth

Johor state election: MACC receives three reports of alleged corruption

Malaysia / 1mth

Opposition wants Jho Low to be brought to justice immediately

Malaysia / 1mth

Guan Eng, wife, businesswoman to stand trial for corruption linked to RM11.6m project

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing