World

Biden-ordered intel report on Covid-19 origins ‘inconclusive’

US intelligence agencies split over two likely scenarios – animals or lab

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 25 Aug 2021 10:00PM

Biden-ordered intel report on Covid-19 origins ‘inconclusive’
The debate over the origins of the virus that has killed more than four million people and paralysed economies worldwide has become increasingly contentious. – File pic, August 25, 2021

WASHINGTON – A classified US intelligence report delivered to the White House yesterday was inconclusive on the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic, in part due to a lack of information from China, according to US media reports. 

The assessment, which was ordered by President Joe Biden 90 days ago, was unable to definitively conclude whether the virus that first emerged in central China had jumped to humans via animals or escaped a highly secure research facility in Wuhan, two US officials familiar with the matter told the Washington Post.

They said parts of the report could be declassified in the coming days.

The debate over the origins of the virus that has killed more than four million people and paralysed economies worldwide has become increasingly contentious.

When Biden assigned the investigation, he said US intelligence agencies were split over the “two likely scenarios” – animals or lab.

Former president Donald Trump and his aides had helped fuel the lab-leak theory amid intense criticism over their administration’s handling of the world’s biggest outbreak, pointing the finger at Beijing, which strongly denies the hypothesis. 

Despite Biden’s directive that the intelligence community “redouble their efforts” to untangle the origin debate, the 90-day review brought them no closer to consensus, the officials told the Post. 

Part of the problem is a lack of detailed information from China, according to the Wall Street Journal. 

“If China’s not going to give access to certain data sets, you’re never really going to know,” an official told the Journal on condition of anonymity since the report is not public.

Beijing has rejected calls from the United States and other countries for a renewed origin probe after a heavily politicised visit by a World Health Organization team in January also proved inconclusive and faced criticism for lacking transparency and access. 

Pressure has, meanwhile, increased to evaluate the lab-leak theory more thoroughly.

At the outset of the pandemic, the natural origin hypothesis – that the virus emerged in bats then passed to humans, likely via an intermediary species – was widely accepted. But as time has worn on, scientists have not found a virus in either bats or another animal that matches the genetic signature of SARS-CoV-2.

In the face of China’s reluctance to open up to outside investigators, experts are increasingly open to considering the theory that the virus might have leaked out of a lab conducting bat coronavirus research in Wuhan, an idea once dismissed as a conspiracy propagated by the US far-right.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has admitted that the global health body’s initial probe into Wuhan’s virology labs did not go far enough.

But the WHO’s call last month for the investigation’s second stage to include audits of the labs infuriated Beijing. Vice-health minister Zeng Yixin said the plan showed “disrespect for common sense and arrogance towards science”. – AFP, August 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 11mth

A push for equality that no one wants anymore

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus