World

China scraps plans to sell Olympic tickets as Covid-19 cases peak

Beijing’s policy of total virus eradication takes hit as 223 infections emerge just three weeks before winter Games set to open

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 18 Jan 2022 8:40AM

China scraps plans to sell Olympic tickets as Covid-19 cases peak
The Beijing Olympic committee says it will organise spectators to watch the Games on site, but did not elaborate on how these spectators will be selected. – AFP pic, January 18, 2022

BEIJING – China on Monday cancelled plans to sell tickets to the public for the Winter Olympics in Beijing, as the number of Covid-19 cases in the country reached its highest since March 2020.

Organisers said last year there would be no international spectators at the Games – partly due to China’s weeks-long quarantine requirements – but they had promised to allow domestic audiences.

But those plans were scrapped on Monday as China reported 223 new infections just three weeks before the Winter Olympics are set to open.

“In order to protect the health and safety of Olympic-related personnel and spectators, it was decided to adjust the original plan to sell tickets to the public and (instead) organise spectators to watch the Games on site,” the Beijing Olympic organising committee said in a statement.

It is unclear how these spectators will be selected and whether they will have to quarantine before or after the Games.

China, where the virus first emerged in late 2019, has stuck to a strict policy of targeting zero Covid-19 cases even as the rest of the world has reopened.

But its approach has come under sustained pressure in recent weeks with multiple virus clusters in key areas, including the port of Tianjin and the southern manufacturing region of Guangdong.

Athletes and officials have already started to land in the capital ahead of the Games, immediately entering a tightly controlled bubble separating them from the rest of the population.

After a local case of the highly infectious Omicron strain was detected in Beijing over the weekend, authorities also tightened regulations for arrivals from elsewhere in China.

The capital is now demanding a negative test before travel and a follow-up test after entering, with residents urged not to leave the city for the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday.

Some tourist sites have also been closed.

Mail threat

A senior health official told residents to “avoid buying goods from overseas” after saying the local case could have been brought in by international post.

The infected woman in Beijing had not travelled or had contact with other infected people, authorities said as they tested 13,000 people living or working in the same area.

Health official Pang Xinghuo told reporters the virus had been found on the surface of a letter the infected person had received from Canada.

Dozens of letters from the same batch were tested and five showed traces of Covid-19, Pang said.

The strain is different from Omicron cases in China, and similar to variants identified from North America last month, she added.

“We have come to the conclusion that the possibility of virus infection through inbound objects cannot be ruled out.”

Therefore, residents should “try to avoid buying goods from overseas during outbreaks”, Pang said.

“If you receive overseas mail, you should wear masks and disposable gloves to reduce direct contact.”

She advised people to “open the packages outdoors”.

China has linked a number of its virus clusters to products imported from overseas.

A theory from Beijing that the virus did not originate in China but was imported in frozen food was judged “possible” but very unlikely in a report last year by international experts appointed by the World Health Organisation.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States says on its website it is “possible” for people to be infected through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects – but the risk is low.

Within three days, there should be a 99% reduction in any virus traces left on surfaces.

Analysts have warned that China’s zero-Covid-19 approach – which includes targeted lockdowns and travel restrictions – will increasingly weigh on the economy.

Some 68 Covid cases were reported on Monday across central Henan province, where partial lockdowns and mass testing have been rolled out for millions of residents. – AFP, January 18, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 3w

12 officers, police personnel arrested in RM2 million extortion case

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Tech / 1mth

Penang’s Tech Dome celebrates 10th anniversary with opening of new space gallery

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran