Malaysia

Gig organisers applaud live show nod, but say more aid needed

Operators hurting from 18-month closure must bear added costs, including Covid-19 screening for staff and frequent sanitisation, to reopen

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 09 Sep 2021 9:00AM

Gig organisers applaud live show nod, but say more aid needed
Live performances are permitted to resume at limited capacity in states under Phase 1 of NRP beginning today. – Pixabay pic, September 9, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – The government’s decision to relax restrictions on the entertainment sector is welcomed, but industry players said more needs doing to revive businesses.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob two days ago announced that cinemas and live performances will be allowed to resume at limited capacity in states under Phase 1 of the National Recovery Plan starting today, much to the relief of operators, especially those in the music industry.

However, music event organisers also have concerns about holding live shows following a shutdown lasting over 18 months. 

With strict standard operating procedures, including the requirement for both the audience and staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, a 30% capacity limit at venues, and the need to secure the necessary permits from the authorities, live performances may not be feasible, they said.

Rahul Kukreja, who operates live venue The Bee at Publika, told The Vibes that he will not resume shows for the next few weeks at least, as the cost remains high.

“We have not been holding shows for nearly two years. We have not been earning money since entertainment was stopped. 

“Now, we will have to bear the cost of regular RTK-Antigen testing for staff, disinfection, backline equipment and so on.”

The Bee’s Rahul Kukreja questions where government-allocated funds for the creative industry have gone. – The Bee pic, September 9, 2021
The Bee’s Rahul Kukreja questions where government-allocated funds for the creative industry have gone. – The Bee pic, September 9, 2021

He said disinfecting his venue will set him back at least RM700 per session, and this needs to be done twice – before and after an event.

“We need funds to kick-start our shows again, but till now, we have not received any financial assistance from the government.

Otherwise, it could mean people would have to pay up to RM100 to watch a local act. Who wants to do that?”

Rahul asked where government-allocated funds for the creative industry, such as under the Pemulih and Penjana initiatives over the last year, amounting to RM250 million have been channelled.

Together with Putrajaya’s annual allocations for the industry, he said, total funding for stakeholders is estimated at RM660 million.

“So, my question is, where is the money now? How has it been distributed? Because my venue has not received a single sen.”

He said he has proposed that the government fund shows at live venues, as has been done in other countries like the United States and Britain, but it fell on deaf ears.  

Malaysian music industry advocate Jennifer Thompson says a 30% audience limit does not make economic sense for big-name concerts, or even local ones. – Facebook pic, September 9, 2021
Malaysian music industry advocate Jennifer Thompson says a 30% audience limit does not make economic sense for big-name concerts, or even local ones. – Facebook pic, September 9, 2021

J TWO I Entertainment Sdn Bhd general manager and Malaysian music industry advocate Jennifer Thompson said the Tuesday announcement means live shows will return to the way they were just before the Covid-19 lockdown earlier this year.

It is a welcome move from the government as it allows us to start hybrid and pre-recorded shows, but it will still affect the bigger operators because a 30% audience limit doesn’t make economic sense for big-name concerts and festivals, or even local ones.

“The priority now are those who have received both vaccine doses. We saw this coming when (Health Minister) Khairy Jamaluddin announced that the endemic phase will be declared by the end of October. 

“I’m sure the industry will continue doing hybrid (live and live-streamed) shows with a limited audience.” – The Vibes, August 9, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Thai border town Dan Nok fades as new border crossing diverts Malaysian traffic

Entertainment / 1mth

ALIFE calls for abolition of entertainment taxes

Community / 7mth

Penang: Noise level at entertainment-type premises to be controlled

Music / 10mth

Penang-born pianist makes finals of world-renowned Chopin competition in Poland

Malaysia / 1y

PJ nightspots may soon be open till 3am

Malaysia / 1y

Penang musician Rozells dies

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Misunderstandings, financial factors among top causes of domestic violence - Minister

Malaysia

Immigration's 'Black Maria' driver charged with causing death of three family members

Malaysia

I am touched by M. Kavita’s dedication – PM Anwar

Malaysia

Warning lights are not a 'license' to ignore traffic laws – Bukit Aman

Malaysia

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Man, woman claim trial to animal cruelty against dog named Rocky (Updated)

Malaysia

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir