World

Blast hits Sinai gas pipeline

Smoke, flames visible 30km away

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Dec 2020 9:45AM

Blast hits Sinai gas pipeline
Authorities have opened an investigation into a gas pipeline explosion yesterday in Egypt’s restive North Sinai region. – Pixabay pic, December 25, 2020

CAIRO – A blast hit a gas pipeline in Egypt’s restive North Sinai region yesterday, a security source told AFP.

“An explosion occurred (Thursday) evening along the main gas pipeline supplying the city of El-Arish,” said the source, referring to the provincial capital.

The explosion took place in the Sabika area to the city’s west.

Witnesses said smoke and flames from the fire were visible 30km away.

The cause of the blast is not immediately clear.

Egypt has for years been fighting an Islamist insurgency in North Sinai, which escalated following the military’s 2013 ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.

Provincial Governor Mohammed Abdel Fadil Shousha in a statement said the blast did not cause any casualties, and “will not impact the gas supply” to the city.

Security forces are searching the area, and authorities have opened an investigation, said the statement.

In February 2018, authorities launched a nationwide operation against militants, focusing on North Sinai.

Earlier this year, the Islamic State said it blew up a gas pipeline some 80km west of El-Arish, claiming it was connected to Israel. – AFP, December 25, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Prolonged Strait of Hormuz disruption will be felt, but less severe - Johari

Malaysia / 7mth

Explosion at private university: Student still in coma

Malaysia / 7mth

Explosion at private university: Victim was UTAR student undergoing industrial training

Trending / 9mth

Couple enjoy durian: Smell mistaken for gas leak in Paris

Malaysia / 10mth

22 people injured in firecracker explosion in Kulim

Malaysia / 1y

Putra Heights gas pipe explosion: Repair, reconstruction work between 22 – 24 per cent, says MB

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus