World

Indian officer accused of planting weapons on Kashmir civilians

Controversy sparks rare separate probes by army

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Dec 2020 7:20AM

Indian officer accused of planting weapons on Kashmir civilians
Captain Bhoopendra Singh has been charged with murder, conspiracy and other offences, and is currently in military detention. – Pixabay pic, December 28, 2020

SRINAGAR – Indian police yesterday accused an army officer and two associates of planting weapons on the bodies of three labourers killed in Kashmir to make it look as though they were militants in a staged gun battle.

The July deaths sparked a furore in the Indian administered side of the Himalayan region that is also claimed by Pakistan.

The army had claimed that the three men were killed in a gun battle in the village of Amshipora in south Kashmir and that three weapons were found on them. The bodies were hurriedly buried in a remote border area.

The men’s families in the remote mountainous area of Rajouri identified them one month later from photographs that circulated on social media. The families said the three had only been looking for work in Kashmir’s apple orchards.

The controversy sparked rare separate investigations by the Indian army, which has more than 500,000 troops in Kashmir, and police, who said they were only informed of the supposed fire fight after the killings, which violated the normal rules of engagement.

A police statement issued late yesterday said the officer and two others “planted illegally acquired weapons and material on their dead bodies after stripping them of their identities and tagged them as hardcore terrorists in possession of war-like stores”.

The army said last week that the recording of evidence in the case had been completed and action will follow.

Following the investigation, the bodies of the three slain men were exhumed in September and returned to their families after DNA tests.

Captain Bhoopendra Singh has been charged with murder, conspiracy and other offences, the police statement said. He is now in military detention. The two civilian “sources”, who were with him at the time, are in police custody.

A local court has asked the army whether the accused officer should be tried in a civilian court or subjected to a military court martial, according to the statement.

Under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, an emergency law applied in Kashmir since 1990 when an insurgency against Indian rule erupted, government forces deployed in the region cannot be tried in a civilian court unless the New Delhi government agrees.

No such permission has ever been granted during the last three decades, despite dozens of requests by the police after investigations into actions by the security forces.

Tens of thousands of people, mainly civilians, have died in the insurgency. – AFP, December 28, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Events / 1mth

India’s MedTech firm Meril opens first Malaysian academy to expand clinical training network

Malaysia / 1mth

PRN Johor: BN dominates military vote, secures landslide in Mahkota (unofficial)

Malaysia / 1mth

Police urge restraint as Rembau chieftain’s residence dispute heads to legal process

Malaysia / 2mth

Anwar congratulates Modi on becoming India's longest-serving elected PM

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons