World

Jobless to get weekly aid despite Trump's last-minute approval, US says

US Labour Department says it will work with individual states to make sure payments continue uninterrupted

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Dec 2020 12:45PM

Jobless to get weekly aid despite Trump's last-minute approval, US says
United States Labour Department data released last week said more than 800,000 people on average are losing their jobs each week, a level above the worst single week of the 2008-2010 global financial crisis –Pixabay pic, December 30, 2020

WASHINGTON – Jobless Americans who risked not receiving unemployment aid this week due to President Donald Trump's delay in signing off on it will indeed receive the money, the US Labour Department said yesterday.

Congress in March expanded the US unemployment safety net as the coronavirus pandemic struck, creating the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) for freelancers and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) for the long-term unemployed but only funding them until the end of the year.

After months of stuttering negotiations, Congress agreed to reauthorize those programs in a US$900 billion spending package passed only days before their December 26 expiration, but Trump objected to its contents before eventually signing it on Sunday – one day after those programs lapsed.

Because many states determine benefit payments for the week ahead on Sunday morning, experts feared Trump's evening signing of the bill could mean benefits under the two programs wouldn't be paid this week.

In a statement to AFP, a US Labour Department spokesperson said it would work with individual states to make sure payments under the programmes, which were reauthorised until March 14, continue uninterrupted.

“As states are implementing these new provisions as quickly as possible, the department does not anticipate that eligible claimants will miss a week of benefits due to the timing of the law's enactment,” the spokesperson said.

An interruption in weekly jobless payments would have increased the pressure on Americans put out of work by the world's largest Covid-19 outbreak.

The United States saw unemployment spike to 14.7% in April after business shutdowns were ordered to stop the virus from spreading. 

Though it decreased to 6.7% in November, Labour Department data released last week said more than 800,000 people on average are losing their jobs each week, a level above the worst single week of the 2008-2010 global financial crisis.

As of the week ended December 5, the US Labour Department said more than 9.2 million people were receiving PUA benefits and more than 4.8 million were receiving PEUC.

Stimulus payments

Meanwhile, American workers could start seeing stimulus payments of as much as $600 in their accounts as soon as yesterday night, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said.

“Treasury and the IRS are working with unprecedented speed to issue a second round of Economic Impact Payments to eligible Americans and their families,” Mnuchin said.

“These payments are an integral part of our commitment to providing vital additional economic relief to the American people during this unprecedented time.”

On Twitter, he added that for those not receiving electronic payment, “paper checks will begin to be mailed tomorrow.”

The stimulus bill set aside US$166 billion to provide cash for families to help weather the pandemic, but Trump blasted the amount and demanded it be increased to US$2,000.

Democrats agreed, and the House of Representatives approved a bill to do that, but Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blocked the measure, refusing to allow a vote.

“Unless Republicans have a death wish, and it is also the right thing to do, they must approve the US$2000 payments ASAP,” Trump said. “US$600 IS NOT ENOUGH!”  – AFP, December 30, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 18h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 1d

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 1w

Six per cent growth proves Malaysia's economy remains resilient - PM

Opinion / 1w

LHDN’s uneven hand: Tough on MSMEs, soft on the shadows

Opinion / 2w

Lessons From Negeri Sembilan - Charles Santiago

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation