World

Jong-un thanks N. Koreans in handwritten letter

Leader thanks citizenry for supporting him in 'difficult times'

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Jan 2021 4:30PM

Jong-un thanks N. Koreans in handwritten letter
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says in the new year, he will work hard to 'bring earlier the new era in which the ideals and desires of our people will come true'. – AFP pic, January 1, 2021

SEOUL – Kim Jong-un thanked North Koreans for supporting his leadership in "difficult times" in a rare handwritten New Year letter released today ahead of a crucial ruling party congress that will set the country's economic goals.

The personal message came after the isolated North put on a performance featuring fireworks, singing and dancing in Pyongyang's Kim Il-sung Square to usher in the new year, despite the coronavirus pandemic, which the North insists has yet to reach its shores.

Kim usually delivers a televised speech on January 1 that is scrutinised by Korea-watchers for signs of where the reclusive state is headed in the new year.

But he skipped the occasion last year, replacing it with an address he had delivered at a party meeting the previous year.

It is widely expected that he will again drop the televised speech this year ahead of the country's first congress in five years. 

State media have said the event will be held early this month but have yet to specify the exact dates. 

"I sincerely wish all the families across the country greater happiness and beloved people, good health," Kim said in the letter carried by the official Korean Central News Agency. 

"In the new year, too, I will work hard to bring earlier the new era in which the ideals and desires of our people will come true.

"I offer thanks to the people for having invariably trusted and supported our party, even in the difficult times," he added, apparently referring to economic hardship brought by international sanctions and strict anti-coronavirus measures.  

South Korean media said it was the first time since 1995 that a North Korean leader has sent a New Year card to the country's citizens, the last one coming from Kim's father, Kim Jong-il.

Kim also visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun mausoleum on the outskirts of Pyongyang at midnight, according to KCNA, to pay his respects to his grandfather and father. 

The congress, which is expected to set out a new economic and political plan, will be the first such meeting in five years, and only the eighth in North Korea's history.

The 2016 congress was the first in North Korea in 36 years.

The congress is expected to take place ahead of the January 20 inauguration of Joe Biden as US president. 

Relations with the US have been deadlocked since talks between President Donald Trump and Kim stalled early last year.

Nuclear negotiations between Pyongyang and the Trump administration ground to a halt after the collapse of the Hanoi summit in early 2019 over sanctions relief.

The incoming US president has characterised Kim as a "thug", while Pyongyang has called Biden a "rabid dog". – AFP, January 1, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 7mth

King and queen extend New Year greetings for 2026

Malaysia / 1y

PM: CNY marks fresh start in strengthening the spirit of unity 

Malaysia / 1y

Two mega projects to propel Sarawak to the future

Malaysia / 1y

Police say no to two rallies at Menara Kinabalu

Culture / 2y

Jaya Grocer opens 49th outlet in Plaza Shah Alam, its third in the state capital

Culture / 2y

Bask Bear spices up New Year with delightfully-spicy toasties

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt