World

US transport secretary leads exit from White House

Elaine Chao’s resignation highest level yet following attack on Capitol

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Jan 2021 6:30AM

US transport secretary leads exit from White House
United States Transport Secretary Elaine Chao has resigned in the wake of the violence on the Capitol, which she says was a traumatic and entirely avoidable event. – AFP pic, January 8, 2021

WASHINGTON – United States Transport Secretary Elaine Chao said yesterday she is resigning over the storming of the Capitol by President Donald Trump’s supporters – the highest level White House resignation yet in the wake of the violence.

Chao, who is married to Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, said it was “a traumatic and entirely avoidable event, as supporters of the president stormed the Capitol building following a rally he addressed”.

“It has deeply troubled me in a way I simply cannot set aside,” she added.

Several Democratic lawmakers dismissed the resignation as posturing, with Jackie Speier, a California congressman, saying on Twitter: “Rats leaving a sinking ship”.

But Chao was the most prominent in a group of about half a dozen officials to announce their departures from the Trump administration in less than 24 hours.

Earlier yesterday, former chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said he was quitting his diplomatic post to protest the mob violence, which Trump encouraged as he sought to overturn his election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

“I can’t stay here, not after yesterday. You cannot look at that yesterday and think I want to be a part of that in any way, shape or form.”

Mulvaney, who had been serving as special envoy for Northern Ireland, said he informed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo of his resignation.

“I can’t do it. I can’t stay,” he said, indicating that other White House staff members are eying the exits.

“Those who choose to stay, and I have talked with some of them, are choosing to stay because they’re worried the president might put someone worse in.”

“Stay on”

Immediately after Wednesday’s violence, which Trump has yet to condemn, deputy national security adviser Matt Pottinger resigned.

Another departure was Stephanie Grisham, a former White House press secretary now working as spokesman for First Lady Melania Trump.

US media reported that Marc Short, chief of staff to Vice President Mike Pence, has been blocked from entering the White House – apparently in retaliation for Pence’s decision to ignore Trump’s demand that he block the certification of Biden’s win.

In another sign of upheaval, Trump yesterday withdrew his nomination of Chad Wolf for the permanent job as head of the Homeland Security Department, where he is now acting chief.

This came just after Wolf said he found the action by Trump’s supporters in the halls of Congress “sickening”, and urged the president to “strongly condemn” the violence.

The outrage across Washington at Wednesday’s events is feeding growing speculation that more senior Trump administration figures may be leaving.

Particular focus has been put on Robert O’Brien, who holds the key post of national security adviser and has been reported to be considering resignation.

But Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, a heavyweight supporter of Trump during his tumultuous one-term presidency, begged top officials to stay put for the sake of stability.

“To those who believe you should leave your post now to make a statement, I urge you not to,” he said, urging O’Brien in particular to “stay on”.

Biden will take over the presidency when he is sworn in on January 20. – AFP, January 8, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 21h

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran