World

Twitter blocks accounts over India farm protests at govt request

Dissent on social media platform dubbed ‘grave threat to public order’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Feb 2021 7:01AM

Twitter blocks accounts over India farm protests at govt request
Tens of thousands of farmers have been protesting against the deregulation of India’s agricultural sector since November 26, and those who took to Twitter to talk about the demonstration had their accounts and tweets temporarily blocked. – AFP pic, February 2, 2021

NEW DELHI – Twitter yesterday temporarily blocked scores of accounts and tweets in India at the government’s request, including those of a prominent news magazine and farmers staging mass protests in the capital.

An Electronics and Information Technology Ministry source told AFP the government had directed the social media giant to act against about 250 Twitter accounts and tweets that posed a “grave threat to public order”.

The accounts were blocked yesterday afternoon but were accessible again hours later.

Tens of thousands of farmers have been protesting since November 26 in camps on the outskirts of New Delhi against the deregulation of India’s agriculture sector.

One rally last week turned into a deadly rampage. Since then, police have detained dozens of farmers and a journalist who writes for Caravan magazine.

Caravan, some farmer activists and unions, some opposition leaders, an actor, and an economist were among those whose Twitter accounts were blocked inside India. 

A Twitter spokesman said “it may be necessary to withhold access to certain content in a particular country from time to time” if “a properly scoped” request is made.

A spokesman for the farmers said their accounts “had not done anything wrong” apart from supporting the long-running protests.

Executive editor of Caravan Vinod K. Jose said the blocking of the magazine’s account is the “latest in a long list of targeted attacks” by authorities against the publication over its reporting.

Global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders slammed the suspensions, which it called a “shocking case of blatant censorship”.

“By ordering these blockings, the Home Affairs Ministry is behaving like an Orwellian Ministry of Truth, who wants to impose its own narrative on the farmers’ protests,” the group said.

Since the violence last Tuesday, at least five criminal cases have been registered against journalists and an opposition politician, accusing them of sedition and conspiracy over their reporting and tweets on the rally.

India regularly uses internet shutdowns, most recently at the farmers’ protest sites, to limit information sharing during disturbances.

It blocked broadband internet in Kashmir for several months after cancelling the disputed region’s semi-autonomy in 2019.

On Reporters Without Borders’ 2020 press freedom index, India ranks 142nd out of 180 countries. – AFP, February 2, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Events / 1mth

India’s MedTech firm Meril opens first Malaysian academy to expand clinical training network

Malaysia / 2mth

Anwar congratulates Modi on becoming India's longest-serving elected PM

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

World / 3mth

Stray dog ‘Kali’ fights venomous snake, saves 30 children, dies a hero

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt