World

14 dead, 170 missing after Indian glacier breaks off

It triggers devastating flash flood in Himalayan north

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Feb 2021 1:30PM

14 dead, 170 missing after Indian glacier breaks off
A wall of water barrelling down a valley in India’s Himalayan north yesterday morning, destroying bridges, roads and two hydroelectric power plants. – Screen grab, February 8, 2021

RISHIKESH – Fourteen people were confirmed dead today and at least 170 others are still missing after a chunk of glacier broke off and unleashed a devastating flash flood in India, officials said.

The wall of water barrelled down a valley in India’s Himalayan north yesterday morning, destroying bridges, roads and two hydroelectric power plants.

“There was a cloud of dust as the water went by. The ground shook like an earthquake,” local inhabitant Om Agarwal told Indian TV. 

The Uttarakhand state government said today 14 bodies have been recovered from different places but that, according to local officials, 170 others are missing. Fifteen have been rescued.

Yesterday, police had put the number of people missing at more than 200, most of them from the two power plants. 

Some were trapped in two tunnels cut off by the floods, and by mud and rocks. 

Twelve people were rescued from one of the tunnels yesterday but 25-30 more are still trapped in the second one, state disaster relief official Piyoosh Rautela told AFP.

With the main road washed away, paramilitary rescuers had to climb down a hillside on ropes to reach the entrance.

Several hundred rescue workers resumed their search operation at first light today, including national and state disaster response teams, the army and navy diving teams.

Officials said two dams had been emptied to stop the floodwaters from reaching the holy towns of Rishikesh and Haridwar, where authorities barred people from going near the river.

Villages on hillsides overlooking the river were evacuated, but as night fell, authorities said the main flood danger had passed.

‘India prays’ 

Scores of social media users captured the disaster, with footage showing water tearing through the narrow valley below one of the power plants with terrifying force.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he was monitoring the relief operation.

“India stands with Uttarakhand and the nation prays for everyone’s safety there,” he said on Twitter.

Floods in 2013 in Uttarakhand, which borders Tibet and Nepal, killed 6,000 people, and led to calls for a review of development projects in the state.

Vimlendhu Jha, founder of Swechha, an environmental NGO, said the disaster was a “grim reminder” of the effects of climate change and the “haphazard development of roads, railways and power plants in ecologically sensitive areas”. – AFP, February 8, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Events / 1mth

India’s MedTech firm Meril opens first Malaysian academy to expand clinical training network

Malaysia / 2mth

Anwar congratulates Modi on becoming India's longest-serving elected PM

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

World / 3mth

Stray dog ‘Kali’ fights venomous snake, saves 30 children, dies a hero

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran