Malaysia

‘Original owner’ of MCMC Twitter account comes forward, apologises for foul language

Nazrul Hakim claims account was sold for around RM1,300, but is shocked that MCMC took it over

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Jan 2021 3:13PM

‘Original owner’ of MCMC Twitter account comes forward, apologises for foul language
The suspension of the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission’s official Twitter account came after profane tweets were unearthed, with users asking if the regulator had bought an already established account on the platform. – The Vibes pic, January 13, 2021

by A. Azim Idris

KUALA LUMPUR – A netizen has come forward claiming he is the initial owner of Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission’s (MCMC) official Twitter account, that courted controversy yesterday.

Nazrul Hakim, 22, who goes by the nickname Naz (@NazruiHakim), from Pahang said he sold the account six or seven years ago when he was still in Form Three or Four.

In a tweet that gained more than 8,100 retweets and 10,500 likes today, Nazrul said he sold the Twitter account after it had amassed 50,000 followers.

“I did not delete the old tweets, because it never crossed my mind,” he tweeted.

MCMC yesterday suspended its official Twitter account, saying it was compromised.

The regulator, in a statement yesterday, said the account, which carries the @SKMM_MCMC handle, was “hacked by an irresponsible party”.

The suspension came after Twitter users unearthed a string of profanity-laden tirades dating back to 2014. Although MCMC claims the account was "hacked", many netizens pointed out hackers were unable to make backdated posts.

The account had more than 70,000 followers prior to its deactivation yesterday.

PKR communications director Fahmi Fadzil said it is unlikely that someone had “hacked” the account in the present day for tweets dating back six years ago.

“How could the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission’s official Twitter (account) be hacked in 2014?” Fahmi asked in a Facebook post.

“Is this the work of a hacker or time traveller?”

Nazrul, who is from Pahang, told Malay language news site BuzzKini that he did not remember the exact amount he was paid for the acquisition of the account, but estimated it to be RM1,300.

Nazrul, who is a Digital Technology (Programming) graduate, also said he did not expect the account to be used as MCMC’s official one and was shocked to find out the regulator had taken over last year.

“I was shocked (after finding out). It feels unbelievable,” he was quoted as saying.

“If I’m not mistaken, I recognise (the buyer) because he DM-ed (direct message) me to make offers for the account. So I sold it straight (away). He determined the price.”

In another tweet, Nazrul apologised for using the foul language in the previous.

“I apologise for what I have said before. The tweets are old, and I don’t know what happened. It’s been seven years. It’s my fault for tweeting like that. I apologise to all those involved.” 

Meanwhile, prominent lawyer Syahredzan Johan, in a statement, said MCMC’s claims that the account was “hacked” was unreasonable because the profanity-laden tirades were done several years ago.

Syahredzan, who is also political secretary to Iskandar Puteri MP and DAP veteran Lim Kit Siang, said Nazrul’s claims also raised questions.

“Firstly, is it true that the @SKMM_MCMC was taken over from a personal account as claimed? Secondly, if it was taken over, what is the need for @SKMM_MCMC to take over a personal account?”

Syahredzan also questioned the regulator whether there was payment involved in the alleged acquisition of the Twitter account.

“If MCMC made a payment, was it done through the proper government acquisition process?”

He said the issue involves a statutory body that has wide powers and regulates the communications industry and social online interactions of the public. 

“Therefore, these questions need to be answered by the MCMC and the Communications and Multimedia Ministry.

“Both are urged to be honest about the @SKMM_MCMC Twitter account.” – The Vibes, January 13, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 5h

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 1d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 1w

Industry experts gather for IPMEX 2026 in Kuala Lumpur

Malaysia / 1w

Thai officer involved in mid-air disturbance on Malaysia-Bangkok flight (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Sabah and Sarawak can become 'kingmakers', determine who will lead Federal government

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Elephant footprints spark fear among Felda Chalok Rahmat residents

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Sarawak puts harmony with nature at heart of tourism pitch to global travel industry

Malaysia

PRN Melaka: PN or PH? BN to decide on August 28

Malaysia

I am touched by M. Kavita’s dedication – PM Anwar