Malaysia

Gombak children’s home abuse case deepens as operator faces new charges in court

Accused denies latest allegations, bringing total charges to eleven amid widening probe into unlicensed welfare facility

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 06 May 2026 5:18PM

Gombak children’s home abuse case deepens as operator faces new charges in court
Operator of the unlicensed children’s welfare home faces two additional counts of committing unnatural sexual acts against a 15-year-old boy (Photo from AFP) - May 6, 2026

AN operator of an unlicensed children’s welfare home in Gombak has been charged in court for a third time, facing two additional counts of committing unnatural sexual acts against a 15-year-old boy, further intensifying a case that has raised serious concerns over child protection oversight.

The accused, S Valan, 31, pleaded not guilty before Sessions Court Judge Suhaila Haron, bringing the total number of charges against him to eleven, including four previously filed at the Ampang Sessions Court involving both physical and non-physical sexual offences.

“I understand the charges and plead not guilty,” he said from the dock, as his wife and parents looked on from the public gallery.

The latest charges allege that the offences took place in a condominium unit in Segambut between 11pm and 2am on 2 January 2023, and again at 2pm on 22 November 2023.

The charges were framed under Sections 377B and 377C of the Penal Code, which carry penalties of up to 20 years’ imprisonment and whipping, and between five and 20 years’ imprisonment with whipping upon conviction.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Md Subri Hashim opposed bail on the grounds that the offences are non-bailable.

“However, if the court allows bail, it should be set at RM20,000 with one surety for each charge.

“The accused must also surrender his passport, not interfere with witnesses and report to a police station monthly until the case is concluded.

“The court must consider that the victim was a minor at the time of the incident and was entrusted to the accused,” he said.

Defence counsel Nur Amalia Md Daud urged the court to grant reasonable bail, arguing that her client is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

“His mother, a housewife, is present in court and is prepared to stand as surety if permitted. The accused is married, has a three-year-old child and resides with his family in Sentul. He poses no flight risk.

“He also has no access to the victim or the welfare home. If there are concerns about interference with witnesses, the court may impose additional conditions,” she said.

The defence further noted that bail had previously been granted in related proceedings at the Ampang and Selayang Sessions Courts, with the accused’s passport already impounded.

After hearing submissions from both sides, Judge Suhaila allowed bail of RM18,000 with one surety for the two latest charges and set 8 June for case mention.

The court also ordered the accused not to contact prosecution witnesses and to report to a police station monthly until the trial concludes.

Lawyers Kirthen Subramaniam and Nishanthi Loganathan attended proceedings as observers on behalf of the victim’s family and the Selangor-based advocacy group Pertubuhan Kebangkitan Tiga Tangan Selangor, which had earlier exposed allegations of abuse spanning nearly a decade at the unlicensed facility.

The case emerged after two former residents, now aged 18, lodged police reports detailing the alleged abuse. Medical examinations later indicated both old and recent injuries consistent with claims of sexual assault involving several boys.

Authorities have since detained four suspects, including the 31-year-old operator and three other workers aged between 17 and 25.

Initial investigations revealed that the welfare home was not registered with the Department of Social Welfare Malaysia and was instead operating under a private company.

In a related development, a caretaker of the same home, Retna Velu, 25, pleaded guilty last month to 15 charges of sexual assault and unnatural acts involving five boys, including a victim as young as eight. The Ampang Sessions Court is scheduled to deliver sentencing on 21 May.

The case continues to draw scrutiny over regulatory enforcement and the safeguarding of vulnerable children in privately run care institutions. - May 6, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Kelantan Police Chief says some parents still defend drug-addict children

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

MEF: Employers want faster approvals and fewer delays

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

Police probe viral street race after motorcycle riders block Johor expressway