Malaysia

Melaka Gateway developers fume as state tears up land reclamation contract

Govt not meeting obligation to protect, provide opportunities for Malaysian businesses, says KAJ Development

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Nov 2020 5:37PM

Melaka Gateway developers fume as state tears up land reclamation contract
Melaka Gateway is a mixed-development project comprising three new islands off the state's coast. – Facebook pic, November 21, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – The developer of Melaka Gateway, an off-shore development of artificial islands, today called out the state government over the recent termination of its land reclamation agreement.

In a statement, KAJ Development Sdn Bhd called the termination “unlawful, invalid, unfair, unreasonable and unconstitutional”.

It added that on November 16, officers from the Unit Perancang Ekonomi Negeri Melaka (Upen) served a notice of termination dated October 4.

Last Monday, Bernama reported that the Chief Minister’s Office had said the agreement, dated October 4, 2017, expired on October 3, and a termination notice was sent to the company after it failed to complete the 246.45ha project.

“The company is also required to return the project site, effective upon the termination notice issued by the state government. Therefore, all matters arising regarding the Melaka Gateway project site should be directly communicated with the Melaka government,” the office had said.

However, the developer today argued that, "what was terminated was the reclamation concession but Melaka Gateway is not just a reclamation project but a whole private development project that KAJ Development Sdn Bhd has conceived and developed".

“In the midst of economic uncertainty in the country in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic, the federal government and the state government have an obligation to protect and give opportunity to the people of this country and its companies to continue their economic activities so that our daily lives may continue.

“The actions of the state government towards KAJ Development is against such obligation of the government,” it said.

The company added that the terimination “will not only destroy the planning and development of the National Project Melaka Gateway, but also project a negative perception to international investors that would be interested in investing in Malaysia”.

“We implore that both the state and federal governments give appropriate consideration on all the factors highlighted... and to deliberate the best course of action for the country.”

Among the factors it cited was the development’s National Project status, which the company said would attract continuous inflow of foreign direct investments to the country.

Melaka Gateway is a mixed-development project costing RM43 billion and comprising three new islands. It had been expected to be completed in 2028. – The Vibes, November 21, 2020 

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia / 3d

If it's BN-PH, I won't contest the Melaka state election – Dr Akmal

Malaysia / 4d

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

Opinion / 1w

The alchemy of staying

Malaysia / 1w

Inspector, policewoman plead guilty to khalwat

Malaysia / 1w

BN Melaka ready to discuss cooperation ahead of state polls

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion

Malaysia

PN has no right to prevent BN from negotiating with any party

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

Penang is first state to enforce private homestay law