World

Indian farmers scrap march on Parliament after riots

But unions say nationwide rallies planned for Sunday will go ahead

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Jan 2021 11:00PM

Indian farmers scrap march on Parliament after riots
Indian farmers have been camped outside the capital New Delhi for two months demanding that the government’s agricultural reforms be scrapped, for fear of being at the mercy of big corporations. – AFP pic, January 28, 2021

NEW DELHI – Indian farmer unions have scrapped next week’s planned march on Parliament against new agricultural laws, as rifts emerge after violent protests in New Delhi left one person dead and almost 400 police injured.

Thousands of farmers running riot on tractors on Tuesday was a major embarrassment for the government, but also for the 42 unions representing the farmers, who have mostly condemned the violence.

Late Wednesday their main umbrella group said that the planned march on Parliament on February 1 – when the government presents the budget – had been pushed back, although nationwide rallies were still planned on Sunday.

Farmers have been camped outside New Delhi for two months demanding that the new laws be scrapped, because they fear they will leave them at the mercy of big corporations.

Two roads blocked by the protestors for weeks were cleared late yesterday as two unions withdrew from the protest, each blaming other groups for Tuesday’s events.

“I am so ashamed and sad about (Tuesday) that I announce an end to our 58-day-long sit-in protest at this (Delhi) border,” one union leader, Bhanu Pratap Singh, announced yesterday.

Another protest camp on the outskirts of the Indian capital was also cleared overnight, with local police denying claims that they had emptied the site using force.

At another site, Ghazipur, there was an increased police presence today.

The main protest camp at the Singhu border crossing remained packed with protestors, although some have left and the mood was sombre.

“Yes, many people left as they were disappointed about Tuesday but we are still here, and hope they will be back,” Baljinder Singh, 32, from the northern state of Punjab, told AFP on Wednesday.

“It was a minor blip. The government planned it and changed the direction of our tractor march, and they intentionally directed us towards the city centre,” Baljinder added.

Delhi police have signalled a tough line, saying they are studying footage and using facial-recognition technology to identify and arrest those involved in the violence.

Yesterday police commissioner SN Shrivastava said that the farmer unions, having promised that Tuesday’s tractor rallies would stick to agreed routes, had “backstabbed” the authorities.

Twitter has also suspended several hundred accounts, most of them outside India, which were sharing “fake and inflammatory” reports to incite religious or regional violence around the protest, Shrivastava said.

Farming has long been a political minefield, with nearly 70% of the 1.3-billion strong population drawing their livelihood from agriculture.

But the government says it is massively inefficient and in need of reform. – AFP, January 28, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

Demolition of temple in Perlis nothing to do with politics – State Mufti

Malaysia / 2w

BN-PN ‘cooperation’ a stab in the back, says Amanah leader

Malaysia / 2w

Racial politics or stability and economic growth? Voters must decide, says Penang CM

Malaysia / 2w

Politics of race and religion are unsustainable, says Amanah VP

Malaysia / 3w

A tragic crash, and the ugly rush to judge by race

Malaysia / 4w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren