World

China shares dramatic video of mountain clash with India troops

High-altitude border battle in Galwan valley one of the deadliest confrontations between two sides in recent decades

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Feb 2021 9:30PM

China shares dramatic video of mountain clash with India troops
Chinese soldiers treating a man on the ground whose head is covered in blood in the footage released by Beijing of the border clashes in Galwan Valley. – Screen grab, February 20, 2021

BEIJING – Dramatic footage released by Chinese state media purportedly shows deadly clashes between troops at the Indian border last year – a rare insight into violence at the tense, remote frontier.

China’s Defence Ministry yesterday named four soldiers killed in the brawl, in the first confirmation of deaths by Beijing from an incident that also claimed the lives of at least 20 Indian soldiers.

Footage later released by state broadcaster CCTV appeared to show Indian troops wading through a river towards Chinese soldiers in the barren and ice-covered Karakoram Mountains, carrying sticks and shields reading “Police”. 

A bilateral accord prevents the use of guns by either side, and brutal clashes between the two sides on the ill-defined border often involve sticks, rocks and fist-fights.

“They have now moved another new tent here,” one soldier says in the video, which claims the Indian side broke the consensus and crossed the line to “provoke” Chinese soldiers.

Indian and Chinese troops confronting each other while wading through a river in the barren and ice-covered Karakoram Mountains, carrying sticks and shields. – Screen grab, February 20, 2021
Indian and Chinese troops confronting each other while wading through a river in the barren and ice-covered Karakoram Mountains, carrying sticks and shields. – Screen grab, February 20, 2021

Later footage shows a large melee of troops from both sides and clashes in the dark, before Chinese soldiers are seen treating a man on the ground whose head is covered in blood.

The high-altitude border battle in the Galwan valley in June was one of the deadliest clashes between the two sides in recent decades.

Beijing acknowledged that the clash had resulted in casualties but did not confirm if any Chinese soldiers died until this week.

The CCTV voiceover said the Chinese soldiers were “heroically sacrificed”.

Battalion commander Chen Hongjun and three other soldiers have been given posthumous awards, the defence ministry said. State media reported that the youngest soldier to die was 19.

India and China fought a border war in 1962 and have long accused each other of seeking to cross their frontier – which has never been properly agreed – in India’s Ladakh region, just opposite Tibet.

Beijing and New Delhi later sent tens of thousands of extra troops to the border, but said last week they had agreed to “disengage” along the border area. – AFP, February 20, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 4d

Attempt to smuggle methamphetamine worth RM12.26m into Malaysia foiled

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

World / 1w

Thai military planning to utilise Israeli drones against insurgents in deep south

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces